Headwear

Dpmolly

New to Fly and River fishing and currently wear a baseball cap when wading. Had a few issues with glasses touching peak rim. Also my magnifying clip ons don't totally fold upwards and give clear view. Tried pushing cap backward. Also tried cap peak clip on type and don't like them at all in use. Does anyone have any advice or idea on more suitable headwear to wear with glasses with clip on magnifiers?? Year round, weather proof, preferably and non-intrusive to vision etc. Thanks. Dave.
David Malone Posts: 18Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:55 pm

wobbly face

How adjustable is your baseball cap?
I had trouble with cotton/polyester one and despite it having a pull adjustment for front to back, it was always slipping down at the front and the peak came too far over my glasses. That's without wearing magnifiers on the peak or having any badges on it. I'm now wearing a Sealand Winster waterproof & breathable cap for spring/summer and autumn fishing. The peak is much more ridged/thicker material, it only adjusts at the back but I've never had a problem with it obscuring my view. For winter fishing I'm wearing a Browning waxed cotton cap with fleece lining (also has fleece side flaps to cover cold ear lugs). Again only adjusts at the back, another ridged and thick material peak and again has never obscured my view. I've also stopped using the magnifiers as I've got prescription varifocal glasses including prescription varifocal sunglasses. My mate still uses his magnifiers and wears a Musto cap without any issues. Again it has a ridged and thick peak.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seeland-Winster-softshell-cap/dp/B06W55MSGP This isn't stock and could well have been replaced with a different model.

Last edited:

Dpmolly

How adjustable is your baseball cap?
I had trouble with cotton/polyester one and despite it having a pull adjustment for front to back, it was always slipping down at the front and the peak came too far over my glasses. That's without wearing magnifiers on the peak or having any badges on it. I'm now wearing a Sealand Winster waterproof & breathable cap for spring/summer and autumn fishing. The peak is much more ridged/thicker material, it only adjusts at the back but I've never had a problem with it obscuring my view. For winter fishing I'm wearing a Browning waxed cotton cap with fleece lining (also has fleece side flaps to cover cold ear lugs). Again only adjusts at the back, another ridged and thick material peak and again has never obscured my view. I've also stopped using the magnifiers as I've got prescription varifocal glasses including prescription varifocal sunglasses. My mate still uses his magnifiers and wears a Musto cap without any issues. Again it has a ridged and thick peak.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seeland-Winster-softshell-cap/dp/B06W55MSGP This isn't stock and could well have been replaced with a different model.

Hi thanks. Will look into both these options. Dave.

Dpmolly

Sorted.... :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201010_103647_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android.jpg
    Screenshot_20201010_103647_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 17

benisa

have a few of these never any problem with the peak and fit great at the back
CAMO ARMY CAP by BEECHFIELD

Paul_B

I use bifocal glasses, the top is clear and for eye protection the bottom is magnified for tying the hook on, I have a baseball hat most of the time, but when its windy I have bucket type hat so I don't hook my ears 😵

Cam

Orvis felt trilby, holds clip ons perfectly and keeps the rain off your face.
S.
Is that the packable version or the rancher felt hat?

I have an Aigle hat with a brim that I have used for years but the brim wont take the weight of the recently added clip on magnifiers so I have had to resort to a baseball cap. I would prefer a hat with a brim

Mrtrout

Does the Brim happily hold the flip focal magnifier without dipping down and getting in the way?

Yes no problem, I also have a clip on light at the side as well.
I use the Orvis clip ons.
S.
C792849A-E988-410E-90DC-9BF58FE2143E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cam