Headwear

Hardrar

Tend to use a tweed Ghillie hat, was designed for the fisherman and Ghillie-waterproof and breathable keeps the Sun off neck, ears and out of the eyes, love them!

Cap'n Fishy

I've been a mullet-wearer for many years now...

205254.jpg

Keeps the sun off neck and ears when it's hot, and keeps the wind off when it's cold! 😜 (y)

Reduces need to slather Factor 50 on back of neck, ears, etc.

Dermatologists recommend if you are outdoors in this country, regardless of weather, between April and September, wear sun protection. I'm paying the price these days with various bits of skin damage through not taking enough protection in my youth.

Col

4wings

A few years ago I bought myself a Seeland titfer, it's warm and has an extending ear warmer section for those chill winds. I think my example was called a Keepers Hat.
Their range of hats and clothing is very good
keeper-hat_B35AC24A_large.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ACW

Paul_B

I've been a mullet-wearer for many years now...

Keeps the sun off neck and ears when it's hot, and keeps the wind off when it's cold! 😜 (y)

Reduces need to slather Factor 50 on back of neck, ears, etc.

Dermatologists recommend if you are outdoors in this country, regardless of weather, between April and September, wear sun protection. I'm paying the price these days with various bits of skin damage through not taking enough protection in my youth.

Col
I'm in the should have took care club, moles cut out, sun damage on face and a new lens due to a cataract.

Cap'n Fishy

I'm in the should have took care club, moles cut out, sun damage on face and a new lens due to a cataract.

I've had...
  • A carcinoma cut out the back of my casting hand (5 stitches)
  • Damage in scalp - biopsied and turned out to be non-cancerous, so it's just festering away, long-term. Builds up into a big lump of crust over time that needs removed by rubbing olive oil into it. Gives me the heeby-jeebies!
  • Actinic keratosis on left cheek burned off with liquid nitrogen (also had attempt to burn the scalp thing off with liquid nitrogen, but it returned)
  • Actinic keratosis on right cheek and in eyebrow. I keep them at bay with 'Solaraze' gel - which amazingly is the same diclofenac gel you rub into sore muscles! o_O
Col

jaybeegee

I've had...
  • A carcinoma cut out the back of my casting hand (5 stitches)
  • Damage in scalp - biopsied and turned out to be non-cancerous, so it's just festering away, long-term. Builds up into a big lump of crust over time that needs removed by rubbing olive oil into it. Gives me the heeby-jeebies!
  • Actinic keratosis on left cheek burned off with liquid nitrogen (also had attempt to burn the scalp thing off with liquid nitrogen, but it returned)
  • Actinic keratosis on right cheek and in eyebrow. I keep them at bay with 'Solaraze' gel - which amazingly is the same diclofenac gel you rub into sore muscles! o_O
Col
Similar stuff happening to me, though I tan easily. Years of working outdoors in the past have taken their toll and your’e right about the crusty horrors ....horrible.😱
B

Cam

Slightly off topic but following on from Cap'n Fishy's post. This year I have started wearing SPF50 long sleeved T-shirts and a UV Buff when out fishing. I have always worn a hat

easker1

I was going to say you look like a fugitive from Beau Geste, but with your medical history it's Vital, easker1

Cap'n Fishy

I was going to say you look like a fugitive from Beau Geste, but with your medical history it's Vital, easker1

Absolutely. I accept it's not a cool look, but it's not about looking cool.

hope1_aug2020_7.jpg

This was my left hand after the BCC was removed...

Col

splinters

hat..jpg

Same hat as Steven. This one used to be brown but has faded to a nice olive colour on top. It's still brown under the brim though.
S.

easker1

I had a growth removed from My tight hand I have the scar and 18 stiches to prove it, but it turned out to be a viral wart,I was impressed with the Op. it took the surgeon 11 minutes from start to finish , it took me longer to do the paper work, easker1

Paul_B

The one I had cut out was on my chest (beach casting with no shirt on and gardening), she wanted me to come back for the others on my shoulder and back, but I explained that the trout season was coming up on the first of march so could they book me in early so I'll be ok for casting.
She said that she would try freezing them, she did and they haven't come back, then corvid and no fishing for months 😭
I'm also on Solaraze for those on my face, but factor 50 seems to work most of the time, as covering up stops vitamin D being produced I take D supplements, my happy pill :)

ejw

I get hard white lumps on my face in the summer ? Wife does not like how I deal with them - Scalpel to nick the skin, then squeeze, no hard lump.
Have seen the doctor, but told they are just excess calcium that the body is producing.
Being follicle challenged have worn a hat for years, still have sun damage from the 70's due to not wearing said hat. Too many ignore the problem until it is an issue.
Thanks for posting this subject.