Hello Everyone!

buckyfishing

Hello everyone,

I'm Steven and I just moved to Harrogate from the states. I used to ocean kayak fish out in Los Angeles and decided to leave all my gear behind to try some fly fishing out here. I've never done fly fishing but it looks like something fun to pick up. I'm still researching but any tips on gear, how to fish, or where to fish would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

jaybeegee

Hi Steven, welcome to the forum and welcome to Yorkshire. There is plenty of scope for both stillwater and river fly fishing in your area. The Washburn Valley reservoirs, especially Fewston for stocked and wild fish are pretty good value and if you fancy some quality river fishing on a dales stream, then Nidderdale Angling Club is worth considering. There is more info on all the above available on the net.
B

noel

Welcome Steven, there are a few members from the Harrogate area so stay with us . Help is freely given .

jerryrum

Hi Steven

I left Harrogate 20ish years ago, so some of my information might be a bit out of date.

The Nidd holds plenty of trout and grayling, but day tickets are hard to come by. All the smaller stream (or becks as they are known) that flow in to the Nidd hold trout too and if they are next to public (council owned) land they are free fishing, though you will still need a rod license.

I was lucky enough to grow up close to oak beck, which is where I caught my first trout (and minnow, stone loach, bullhead.......).

If you are on the airbase, it is worth heading over the hills to Pateley Bridge, you can get day tickets there for £15 a day. I'm going to stay there myself soon, so I can fit in some fishing while visiting family who still live in Harrogate.

I learn't to cast a fly rod on my own, but it took a long time to learn and I still cast 'badly' to this day. It might be worth thinking about casting lessons, or at least a river guide.

If you have any specific questions, PM me

cheers
Jerry

Latest posts