Hello from Ireland

knoonan

Based in cork. Been having a look at the tackle talk section today to get a scope of how the scene has changed. Trying to figure out to go to 4Wt or 5wt rod for fishing the likes of river bandon free stretch. River lee free stretch and similar spots. Not a member of any club so very limited waters available to me.

Thanks all for the welcomes
I’m from Bandon. I think that free stretch is hard work and have always struggled myself with trout fishing on the Bandon in general; it’s a big river and strikes me as better suited to a salmon angler but hopefully someone will come along shortly and correct me!

If you can, I’d recommend you head towards Macroom, Crookstown, Dripsey - plenty of inexpensive and often free fishing. PM me if you want any more info. Best of luck with it; Cork is blessed with great river fishing.

mackiia1

soon ill be a fisherman like you new boat rod reels lifejackets extra large box of ammunition (flies )
just add water and fish happy days
Seriously ?? Have you ever fly fished ?
You've spent big money on something you have never done ??? You're taking the Pi55 ??
What type of boat did you get ?

shortcircuit

If you're looking for free fishing around Cork, the following rivers are regarded as free (per Rivers of Ireland by Peter O'Reilly). I havent fished them much however because I am the wrong side of the city.

Shournagh : The one that flows behind the Anglers Rest out near the straight road. I fished the bit behind the Anglers rest a couple of times, plenty of small trout.

Martin: flows through Blarney, joins the Shournagh. I have never fished this, but from what I have seen of this river it's a nice fast stream with a bit of a mix of water. Looks to be handy enough access upstream of Blarmey.

Sullane: Flows through Macroom, but it seems very slow in Macroom, have not fished it. Looks a lot more promising down near Ballyvourney. One day last summer on my way back from working in Kerry . I ate my lunch looking out at a nice stretch and could see a nice few fish rising.

Bride (Tributary of Lee). I fished this one day on a stretch about halfway between Crookstown and Ovens. River seems very slow and featureless around there. Seems a lot nicer around Crookstown, have driven by it a bit and always wanted to hop out!

Dripsey river: I have never seen it in the flesh, but it is also noted in the book.

GEK79

If you're looking for free fishing around Cork, the following rivers are regarded as free (per Rivers of Ireland by Peter O'Reilly). I havent fished them much however because I am the wrong side of the city.

Shournagh : The one that flows behind the Anglers Rest out near the straight road. I fished the bit behind the Anglers rest a couple of times, plenty of small trout.

Martin: flows through Blarney, joins the Shournagh. I have never fished this, but from what I have seen of this river it's a nice fast stream with a bit of a mix of water. Looks to be handy enough access upstream of Blarmey.

Sullane: Flows through Macroom, but it seems very slow in Macroom, have not fished it. Looks a lot more promising down near Ballyvourney. One day last summer on my way back from working in Kerry . I ate my lunch looking out at a nice stretch and could see a nice few fish rising.

Bride (Tributary of Lee). I fished this one day on a stretch about halfway between Crookstown and Ovens. River seems very slow and featureless around there. Seems a lot nicer around Crookstown, have driven by it a bit and always wanted to hop out!

Dripsey river: I have never seen it in the flesh, but it is also noted in the book.
Great help and advice.. 👍👍

doobrysnatcher

I’m from Bandon. I think that free stretch is hard work and have always struggled myself with trout fishing on the Bandon in general; it’s a big river and strikes me as better suited to a salmon angler but hopefully someone will come along shortly and correct me!

If you can, I’d recommend you head towards Macroom, Crookstown, Dripsey - plenty of inexpensive and often free fishing. PM me if you want any more info. Best of luck with it; Cork is blessed with great river fishing.
Shournagh meets Lee river yesterdayIMG_20210221_174103.jpg

knoonan

I am a member of Mactoom Anglers. Sullane is lovely; many wonderful days and evenings there. Not many big fish but plenty of free rising trout. Some easily accessible fishing about a mile downstream of the town near the bridge. €5 day ticket from a local pub (PM for details if you want).

Just laid eyes on the Dripsey for the.first time a couple of months ago - lovely looking bit of water around the village. Would like to check it out sometime.