Hello from Northumberland

Pieterdv

Hi, I'm a new to fly fishing from Northumberland. I got a few pointers from a friend years ago and bough some gear, but only now decided to actually make something of it. I have a 9ft 5wt rod, fly line and all the other needed bits, including a bunch of flies that I can't identify.

The closest spot for me to go fishing is the Tyne between Ovingham and Wylam. I specifically want to try my hand at brown trout. I am not actually sure if this is a feasible proposition, how exactly to fish for brown trout and what flies to use and all that. I am reading as much as I can to try and figure it out, so I hope that I eventually get at least the general idea of what I should be doing, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pieter

DutyDruid

Nice one mate , welcome to this group. I myself have yet to put a fly in the water but all questions have been answered with concise, very informative information from other members of the group

springwell

Welcome,

It must be well over 50 year ago!! (That's giving my age away) that I fished Wylam and Ryton for dace and anything else that showed up as a bairn with my uncle.

It must be a lot cleaner now. :)

heathenwoods

Welcome and good luck. Northumberland Anglers Federation would give you access and having had a quick look at their website I'd guess they'd be happy to help. £60 trout membership for the Tyne, Till, and Coquet is amazing value. If my kids would let me I'd up sticks and move in the blink of an eye :LOL:

Pieterdv

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I got my NAF permit and been trying around the Ovingham area, just upstream from the bridge. Next there are a few spots further upstream, next to the Bywell road I want to try.

Next week I'm going to try the Derwent a bit as it is really close.

GEK79

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I got my NAF permit and been trying around the Ovingham area, just upstream from the bridge. Next there are a few spots further upstream, next to the Bywell road I want to try.

Next week I'm going to try the Derwent a bit as it is really close.
Hello and welcome this is the right place to ask and learn and alot of tour fishing adventures will involve trial and error..
Stay Safe and good luck..

thetrouttickler

Welkom Pieter.

Right now I'm sure you're just trying to get the gist of casting and gain basic "what to do" knowledge, but in time you will want to focus on the places away from the bridge and the road. The fish in those spots will know all about flies. All the best.

Pieterdv

Welkom Pieter.

Right now I'm sure you're just trying to get the gist of casting and gain basic "what to do" knowledge, but in time you will want to focus on the places away from the bridge and the road. The fish in those spots will know all about flies. All the best.
Dankie!

Yes, very much trying to figure out the basics at the moment. Thanks for the advice, hopefully the Derwent next week will offer a bit more of the away that you are referring too.

Here is the current selection of flies I am trying. I have a wider selection, but this is my understanding of what I have which is suitable for brown trout in these parts. Please feel free to point out any obvious misconceptions.

flies2.jpg

thetrouttickler

Dankie!

Yes, very much trying to figure out the basics at the moment. Thanks for the advice, hopefully the Derwent next week will offer a bit more of the away that you are referring too.

Here is the current selection of flies I am trying. I have a wider selection, but this is my understanding of what I have which is suitable for brown trout in these parts. Please feel free to point out any obvious misconceptions.

View attachment 28269
I'm sure someone with local knowledge can provide more specific advice, but you appear to be missing emerger and nymph stages. Get some klinkhamers (emerging insects; the fly is fished like a dry fly) and nymphs (beadhead pheasant tails and beadhead Hare's ears). Sizes 14, 16 and 18 should do. These flies work everywhere. Good luck.

heathenwoods

Yep, totally agree with thetrouttickler. To begin with, hare's ear and pheasant tail nymph in 14-18 are absolute staples.

Trout do the majority of their feeding underwater so subsurface flies will improve your chances. My starting point is almost always 'klink and dink'/'deadly duo' or whatever you might like to call it. It's explained pretty well here. I use what they call the 'dry dropper' method but my dropper is about half the length they suggest.

In terms of fishing subsurface, this is a decent introduction...

And I liked Tom Rosenbauer's book The Orvis Guide To Reading Trout Streams so was pleasantly surprised to see this in the suggested links on the video above. It describes some solid, universal principles...

PaulD

One thing to note is the Tyne is a big river in your area around Wylam and its size might be a bit of a challenge - I've fished the South Tyne, further up at Hayden Bridge for salmon and it's a fair size up there. I'd suggest you focus on any smaller rivers and streams you have access to where it may be easier to locate, spot the fish, observe what they're doing and fish for them.

wrongfoot

Thanks for all the input everyone! Very much appreciated!
Derwent is easier for trout as there's a lot less water to cover and the lies/feeding channels are more obvious and you're a lot less troubled by fry/parr or other fish species.

It was a good idea of yours to consider that for a visit.

Pieterdv

One thing to note is the Tyne is a big river in your area around Wylam and its size might be a bit of a challenge - I've fished the South Tyne, further up at Hayden Bridge for salmon and it's a fair size up there. I'd suggest you focus on any smaller rivers and streams you have access to where it may be easier to locate, spot the fish, observe what they're doing and fish for them.
Thanks PaulD and thetrouttickler. After a bit of Googling and poking around the rest of the flies I have, I think I have a least a few that sort-off fit the description. I have a fair few klinkhammers and a few pheasant tail and hear's ear nymphs. The nymphs I do have though is without a shinny bead head though.

Pieterdv

Derwent is easier for trout as there's a lot less water to cover and the lies/feeding channels are more obvious and you're a lot less troubled by fry/parr or other fish species.

It was a good idea of yours to consider that for a visit.
This was the concern that I had, that the Tyne, at least where I was trying, may not be suitable for trout. I haven't actually see any fish jump, but have at least seen one other person trying for trout in the area. Mostly though its people with salmon and sea trout looking setups.

I have two days booked for next week on the Derwent. Rowlands Gill and Lintzford.

mac 10

Welcome to the forum,

Great bunch of people on here who will help you out.

When I first started I bought a copy of this video on DVD. I found it a great help. It answered a lot of my questions.

Hope this helps.

Tight lines,

Nick.

Pieterdv

Welcome to the forum,

Great bunch of people on here who will help you out.

When I first started I bought a copy of this video on DVD. I found it a great help. It answered a lot of my questions.

Hope this helps.

Tight lines,

Nick.
Brilliant, thanks Nick!