Hello from shropshire

Martian35

Hi,

I was offered a seat on a small fishing boat in Ireland with a friend, we went out to sea by Galway, and despite throwing up i had a great time, i caught a load of fish, far too many to eat so gave most of them away and pan fried the two recommended by the boat owner, they were amazing!

I am looking to start a hobby that gets me outside and fly fishing for trout seems a fun way to do that without getting sea sick.

I am very suprised about the complexity of fishing, i thought you bought a fishing license and apart from private lakes or sport fishing locations, you could fish anywhere.
Is there a thread with guidelines about where to fish that breaks it down a bit or amalgamates information?
Do i need to buy a license and then join a club and pay their membership aswell?
I am researching this but if anyone has any helpful info it will be greatfully received!

Have a nice evening.
Martin

Rhithrogena

Hello Martin,
Welcome aboard.
It's complex. You need to buy a rod licence to pay the government for keeping the rivers clean and full of fish (🤔!!!).
Then you have to pay whatever the owner of the place you fish wants.
Clubs sometimes negotiate with owners and members get to fish for a joining fee.
Plenty of fishing near you....
Rich

Martian35

Cheers Rich, thats confirming what im reading now.
Yeah there are loads of rivers, lakes and private fisheries around about.
I like the idea of river fishing, maybe a big natural lake or reservoir.
Just need to find some good spots to start and go from there.
Martin

Martian35

Cheers Jim!

A friend of the family goes salmon fishing in scotland, he goes to a hotel that sorts everything out for him, he brings back one salmon, catch and releases the rest if he gets any.
A bit too expensive i would think for me lol

Mr Notherone

Welcome.
If you are interested in river fishing you should have a look at the Passport system which has options in your area. I’m sure there are local clubs with rights over your local rivers too.

Most wild brown trout river fishing is C&R these days. If it’s fish for the table your after, look for still water fisheries that stock.

Martian35

Cheers bud,
I have been having a look, I think i have decided a course of action, there is Elledine fisheries just down the road from me that does trout fishing.
Cheap rod and use them to get started, learn the basics and get to grips with things.
I didnt really want to use a fishery but as a means to get out and get practice whilst i wade through the murk of clubs, passports and private land.
Its weird but i never gave a thought to fish levels in uk rivers before now, ive seen on tv the ocean stock levels dwindling, but river trout never crossed my mind.
Reading about trout being catch and release and low in stock is nuts.

Latest posts