hello, I am a retired gentleman new to fly fishing.

fredbear

Many welcomes fredbear and as stated lot's of knowledge lots of opinions lots to learn and at times alot to ignore.. I'm not retired but find my way round slowly.. Usually the classifieds looking at stuff that I want but don't really need..
Enjoy your journey. Start off with some maxcatch gear.. Once your fishing then get over complicated and expensive. 😜😜
I'd recommend if you can to have a few casting lessons... The rest will lead you on a journey.
Enjoy.
Gary
Thanks for that, noted.

fredbear

I have not been here very long but they are a really helpful and careing lot of folk.
Ignore the joshing (and apparent back biting) they really are very nice people and
help each other out at the drop of a hat. Welcome.
I seem to be finding out. tight lines.

noel

Ok I will stop now, thanks for the warning.
It's that bad that some of us get into the car and drive for hours just to meet old friends who we all met through this forum. It's a good place to be on a dreadful winters day , as MrTrout says ask on here about anything .

Last edited:

4wings

I seem to be finding out. tight lines.
Chew Valley lake runs courses on casting and fishing as well, I don't remember all the details.
I think it was around £70 (pre covid) and included lunch and some fishing days.

* ps I think they supply rods for the casting lessons.

Last edited:

noel

Chew Valley lake runs courses on casting and fishing as well, I don't remember all the details.
I think it was around £70 (pre covid) and included lunch and some fishing days.
If I remember correctly it is run by John Horsey the most capped English International.

Overmiwadrers

Welcome to the strange hipnotic thing called fly fishing . If there is a better way to spend your time and waste your money I’d like to know what it is , The trick with the forum is to work out who to listen to there are a lot of people with a lot to say but not much worth hearing and a few who do not say much but who are definitely worth listening to. The fun is working out who is who

O M W

Uncas

Welcome, Nice choice of moniker.
Fred Bear one of the greatest bow hunters of all time he stands in the ranks of
Haward Hill, Pope&Young, and others of the 50s/60s generation.
A great man who had some wonderful quotes.

fredbear

Welcome, Nice choice of moniker.
Fred Bear one of the greatest bow hunters of all time he stands in the ranks of
Haward Hill, Pope&Young, and others of the 50s/60s generation.
A great man who had some wonderful quotes.
Oh, I was not aware of that fact. My mates at school gave me that nick name, a long time ago.
No good with a bow, not bad with a rifle back in the day.
FB

fredbear

Welcome to the strange hipnotic thing called fly fishing . If there is a better way to spend your time and waste your money I’d like to know what it is , The trick with the forum is to work out who to listen to there are a lot of people with a lot to say but not much worth hearing and a few who do not say much but who are definitely worth listening to. The fun is working out who is who

O M W
Understood, O M W stay dry and safe.
FB

Latest posts