Hello!

sco22y

Hi everyone, just thought I would say hello to you all. Although I have fished the sea and my local river (spinning and bait) most of my life, I'm relatively inexperienced at fly fishing so thought I would join the forum to try and get some tips. I did give it a go about 13 years ago and fished the Fewston reservoir a few times down near Harrogate and a couple of reservoirs in the west coast of Scotland(where I'm from) but that's it really.

The reason I have taking it up again is that my father in law passed away a few years ago and left my son all his fly fishing gear and he is now at an age (13) where he wants to learn and use the equipment. I put line on one of the reels the other night and went down our local river with a 9. 6ft rod and both of us gave it a shot for about an hour or so but we couldn't cast the line that far at all. It was as if the line had some resistance to it and only really went about 10ft in front of us. Needless to say we never caught anything but the boy enjoyed it. There was no way of knowing what weight the line was so I ordered #7 line today that is suited to the rod (6-8 weight) so hopefully that works better for us. I also ordered a shakespear sigma 8ft #4 fly rod today for myself so that we can fish together. All I have to do now is buy #4 floating line (recommendations are much appreciated) and attach it to one of the reels that we have and we should be good to go.

Looking forward to interacting with you all and hopefully telling you about all the fish we are catching.

Scott

GEK79

My son has introduced my grandson to fishing, not quite the delicate presentation of a fly but casting & drowning of the odd worm & some such, He was only 5, anyway it's the beginning of creating an interest.
Hi everyone, just thought I would say hello to you all. Although I have fished the sea and my local river (spinning and bait) most of my life, I'm relatively inexperienced at fly fishing so thought I would join the forum to try and get some tips. I did give it a go about 13 years ago and fished the Fewston reservoir a few times down near Harrogate and a couple of reservoirs in the west coast of Scotland(where I'm from) but that's it really.

The reason I have taking it up again is that my father in law passed away a few years ago and left my son all his fly fishing gear and he is now at an age (13) where he wants to learn and use the equipment. I put line on one of the reels the other night and went down our local river with a 9. 6ft rod and both of us gave it a shot for about an hour or so but we couldn't cast the line that far at all. It was as if the line had some resistance to it and only really went about 10ft in front of us. Needless to say we never caught anything but the boy enjoyed it. There was no way of knowing what weight the line was so I ordered #7 line today that is suited to the rod (6-8 weight) so hopefully that works better for us. I also ordered a shakespear sigma 8ft #4 fly rod today for myself so that we can fish together. All I have to do now is buy #4 floating line (recommendations are much appreciated) and attach it to one of the reels that we have and we should be good to go.

Looking forward to interacting with you all and hopefully telling you about all the fish we are catching.

Scott
Morning Scott welcome its a great place here lots of knowledge and lots of experience to learn from enjoy your time with your son and stay safe
Gary

GEK79

My son has introduced my grandson to fishing, not quite the delicate presentation of a fly but casting & drowning of the odd worm & some such, He was only 5, anyway it's the beginning of creating an interest.
You must enjoy those two generations and teach them all you know...

sco22y

Morning Scott welcome its a great place here lots of knowledge and lots of experience to learn from enjoy your time with your son and stay safe
Gary
Hi Gary, yeah I'm finding there is plenty to learn to we both like a challenge. 😁

springwell

Welcome to the forum Scott. (y)

Lines? The usual recommendations are Barrio, John Norris P3 lines, if they still do them, and Maxcatch. You'll find plenty of recommendations on here if you do a search, also check the Maxcatch thread for the gold lines.

Latest posts