Helmsdale River opening 2017

Fly Guy

I have been informed the river board is allowing ten free days fishing from Wednesday 11th January. This is your chance to fish the exclusive Helmsdale river and hopefully hook up with fresh silver springer:D. You will also be supporting the local economy by staying in B&B's and spending in the local shops and restaurants. If you've not been before and thinking of going for a cast I suggest you start looking at accomodation now as it gets booked up early.
Here is hoping for good weather and perfect river conditions:thumbs:

Last edited:

disappearingsalmon

If you can get there it is a unmissable opportunity to fish one of the Highland's most iconic rivers......for FREE. There is a real chance of hooking into a Springer and boy do they put up a fight, they are like bars of chromium and hard as steel. Conditions can be challenging, but to catch a Helmsdale Springer it's well worth the discomfort.
Tip, take a large hip flask.

M

bibio1st

My uncle Brian Stubbs did some ghilling on that river and still lives in Helmsdale, unfortunately I was coarse fishing then and never got the chance to fish with him, he's in his eighties now and not able to get out.

Steve

disappearingsalmon

Hi Fishing hobo,
You are quite correct and I would not argue the point, however I find a nip that can be shared is a pleasant part of early Spring fishing, especially in a horizon blizzard. I drive, so I am very conscious of our tight D&D laws and the usefulness of a driving licence up here. Tight Lines.

M

midway

You will also be supporting the local economy by staying in B&B's and spending in the local shops and restaurants.
Helmsdale's changed quite a bit since I was last there then… :D

Anyone else remember Moley?

disappearingsalmon

Tough going, cold and blizzard conditions with a rising river. Not a touch, but it was well worth the effort. No fresh fish reported, at least not heard of anything, hopefully in the next few days. I will try again next week. :):)

M

sewinbasher

A mate of mine who is up there posted a video clip on Facebook of him playing a fish in a blizzard yesterday and said that he'd had four. So there may be one or two about! :thumbs:

midway

Are we talking about Johnnie Miller (Moley)

I think that was the guy. Used to blag lifts from tourists.

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Tough going, cold and blizzard conditions with a rising river. Not a touch, but it was well worth the effort. No fresh fish reported, at least not heard of anything, hopefully in the next few days. I will try again next week. :):)

M
Well done on making the effort anyway.

charlieH

The one in the video clip looked fresh enough, I'll ask about the others and report back.

There are a few members of SFF fishing the Helmsdale, and I haven't seen any reports of fresh fish there. Nothing on Ron Sutherland's website either - he didn't update it yesterday, but if there was an authenticated fresh fish I imagine he would have been keen to break the news.

disappearingsalmon

What a contrast from the opening day, the conditions today were sublime. Quite a few anglers out, but didn't here of any fresh fish. I had two kelts and a superb brown trout of about 3lbs in perfect condition ! May try again before the free period closes.

M