Helmsdale

Fly Guy

Approx 300 fish came off the river, to twelve rods, in the closing week (season finished yesterday) with many fish in the 20lb+ range. Best week for the whole season. Bodes well for bumper spawning with so many fish:thumbs:

bobmiddlepoint

Approx 300 fish came off the river, to twelve rods, in the closing week (season finished yesterday) with many fish in the 20lb+ range. Best week for the whole season. Bodes well for bumper spawning with so many fish:thumbs:

But what was the season total? I understand they had a prolonged drought in the area this year with no water until the last month. I know the Helmsdale has the advantage of the dam at the top but even so it must have been low and stale for much of the summer?

Fly Guy

Badanloch ran out of water to run on compensation levels in early August so thin pickings after that. season total won't be know for a few weeks yet. The association water did well two weeks ago and the upper beats have been producing the best the last two weeks.

Laxdale

Apparently the number of fish through the counter was the highest it has been for a few years. But overall numbers caught are very low.
I wonder what MSS will make of that? :D

bobmiddlepoint

Apparently the number of fish through the counter was the highest it has been for a few years. But overall numbers caught are very low.
I wonder what MSS will make of that? :D

Danger danger! MSS can spin this as low angling effort because of the low water has reduced catches leaving higher numbers of fish to run. Therefore best reduce fishing effort further, everywhere, just to be on the safe side.

Where is the counter on the Helmsdale and can it tell the difference between salmon and sea trout (is there much of a sea trout run?).

Latest posts