Help identifying some flies please!

hobnobdude

As mentioned in a previous post I was gifted some fly tackle recently.
I don't really know what half the flies are, so I was hoping I could put up a a few images at a time and get some assistance in identifying them, in the hope that I can then find out how they should be fished.

Ok I'll start with these if I may!
IMG_20210915_220831_resize_43.jpg

IMG_20210915_222047_resize_53.jpg

Are these all Invicta wet flies? Assume these are more useful on rivers?

IMG_20210915_215839_resize_40.jpg

Wulff flies?

IMG_20210915_215623_resize_58.jpg

IMG_20210915_220231_resize_21.jpg

IMG_20210915_215606_resize_51.jpg

Thought these might be some kind of egg fly?

Any helpwould be great,
Cheers in advance!

Vintage Badger

are they parmichon belles in the lower compartment top right red and white?
The red and white striped ones? They look like they might be, I think the body was yellow on the traditional tying but I can't see the fly's body in the photo.

Looks like a Silver Butcher and a Bloody Butcher in there too; very famous UK patterns.

Last edited:

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
"Are these all Invicta wet flies? Assume these are more useful on rivers?"
Refering to the box of flies, no they are not all most useful on rivers, is a box of what I would call traditional Loch patterns, very popular 80's and early 90's, but also useful for sea trout on rivers.
They would all still work on Lochs now!.

whitehorses

Refering to the box of flies, no they are not all most useful on rivers, is a box of what I would call traditional Loch patterns, very popular 80's and early 90's, but also useful for sea trout on rivers.
They would all still work on Lochs now!

They would all still work on Lochs now!.
They would all still work on Lochs now!.if they didnt fall out of favour like here

arkle

Frame 6, are all variations of the infamous "Barrow Mouse", as used on Barrow res's near Bristol Airport. A.O. I have dressed these, in the past for the now sadly missed & major tackle shop in Bristol, Veals.

hobnobdude

Brilliant, thanks for all of your help so far. I will get some better photos of the Wheatley box flies if that helps.

What is the difference with Loch fishing and reservoir fishing that would make them more suitable for the Lochs?

@arkle that makes sense as I live near Bristol and my neighbour would fish the Bristol reservoirs, as I do.

He gave me about 800ish flies, so I have many I have no idea about. Mixture of dries, wets, CDC buzzers and some lures. edit: and lots of nymphs/buzzers!

Last edited:

icejohn

Loch style flies tend to be more bushy traditional style patterns. Butcher fly type patterns as someone mentioned and invictor style flies. This being what I can see in the silver fly box pic. March browns, mallard and claret.

The deer hair pattern has already been covered.

Above is just a rough generalisation.

Last edited:

Elwyman

Looks like my fly box from the 80s when I used to boat fish the Brenig a fair bit.
I see some Wet Wickhams and Teal Green and Silver which worked well at sedge time.

cammy

March Brown, Silver March Brown, Wickhams, Invicta, silver invicta, peter ross, dunkeld, cinammon and gold, conemarra black and might also be lake olives and rough olive?
As has been said classic winged wets.