help me choose rod length please

fatfifer

Hi all, I have the chance to buy a shakespeare agility 10' #5, or the same rod in 8'6" length. Both are second hand and on sale locally. I don't have enough cash for both. I'm fairly new to fly fishing and so far have been fishing small still waters( with a Stillwater performance 10' #7/8 which is my only rod at the moment) but I'm hoping to try my hand at fishing lochs in the Scottish highlands for wild brown trout this coming season. I've been looking for a 9'#5 but not seen any as cheap as the 8'6" or 10' mentioned above.
I will be bank fishing and don't have waders yet either. Which length would you recommend or should I go for a new cheap 9' #5?
Any thoughts much appreciated.
Ewan

bobmiddlepoint

...but I'm hoping to try my hand at fishing lochs in the Scottish highlands for wild brown trout this coming season.

The Agility 10' #5 will be spot on for the lochs from either boat or bank. One thing to be aware of is fair percentage of Agilitys seem to suffer from loose joints, so give it a good wiggle before you buy!

lee71

The Agility 10' #5 will be spot on for the lochs from either boat or bank. One thing to be aware of is fair percentage of Agilitys seem to suffer from loose joints, so give it a good wiggle before you buy!

It was the Agility 2 that had loose joints, never heard the originals having them.:thumbs:

It shouldn't happen but a bit of candle wax cures loose joints.

fatfifer

Many thanks for all the replies.
I'll definitely be having one of those lines, Dave.
I like the look of the Grey's and I've had a wee try of my brother in laws grey's streamflex 70 and really liked that. So probably leaning more towards that now.
Ewan

G

guest54

Depending on the kind of fishing you are planning on doing you should choose the rod most suited.
If it's small water, nymph, dry fly, lure, I would choose the 8'6".
If it's a variety of waters you might well find the 10' more versatile, in that you can work a top dropper more effectively at greater range with the longer rod.
Whatever you choose I'm pretty certain it won't be too long before you have a whole rack of rods.

easker1

Never found the need to go more than 9ft, boat or bank, I used an 8ft rod for a few years while my shoulder was repairing after using a 10ft 6in 6-8 rod for a good few years, but it's a personal thing any way, 9ft rods seem to be the best sellers , all my rods are 9ft, except my 2 wt that is 6ft,good luck in whatever you choose :) easker1

Rob Edmunds

I'd definately go with the 10ft Agility it will give you more options from bank and boat and a better chance as a beginner....it will also be a more forgiving action than the shorter rod - although they are the same weight (aftm #5)

Plus as you already own a 10ft rod it will be more familiar in casting style

Can't fault the Agility range though......very good value for money....as has been said the joints can be a touch loose.....so rub each joint (insert) with candle wax every 3 months or so and it will stop any problems

Last edited:

scobo

I'd strongly recommend a #6 or even a #7 outfit for some of the bigger, more exposed lochs.
There's days (plenty of them too) when a #5 just won't cope well with the wind.

morayfisher

Might be worth remembering that longer, heavier rods will need more effort for each cast. Ok for a couple of hours at a time but if fishing all day it can get tiring.
I stick to 8'6" - 9'0" five weights as much as possible but I've got a dodgy elbow.

scobo

Might be worth remembering that longer, heavier rods will need more effort for each cast. Ok for a couple of hours at a time but if fishing all day it can get tiring.
I stick to 8'6" - 9'0" five weights as much as possible but I've got a dodgy elbow.

Very true.
I used to fish 8+ hours with a 10' #7 when I was younger but that would wreck my back these days.
Now use a much lighter 9'6" #6 and not usually for much more than 6 hours at a time.

ohanzee

Hi all, I have the chance to buy a shakespeare agility 10' #5, or the same rod in 8'6" length. Both are second hand and on sale locally. I don't have enough cash for both. I'm fairly new to fly fishing and so far have been fishing small still waters( with a Stillwater performance 10' #7/8 which is my only rod at the moment) but I'm hoping to try my hand at fishing lochs in the Scottish highlands for wild brown trout this coming season. I've been looking for a 9'#5 but not seen any as cheap as the 8'6" or 10' mentioned above.
I will be bank fishing and don't have waders yet either. Which length would you recommend or should I go for a new cheap 9' #5?
Any thoughts much appreciated.
Ewan

If you are packing a rod to walk around lochs a 9' 4 piece packs the length of a rucksack, 10 would poke up a bit, the danger is when you take the rucksack off and on, the bit sticking out can catch on the heather.
Also I'd say 8'6'' in a 4 or 5 weight is probably better suited to the average fish under a pound.

Latest posts