Help me get into Pike on the fly

webblade

Looking for info on tackle for getting into pike on the fly. Been thinking about it for a few years and now is the time. I have a good river close by with great pike in it and would like to chase them for the Autumn/Winter. I don't want to buy the wrong gear so I'd like a bit of advice from the pike anglers on here. I did take a look at the Guideline Epik Pike Outfit 9ft #9. It comes with a reel and wf fly line for 289 euros. Any got experience with this kit or recommend another? Also any other tips for chasing river pike on the fly. Cheers.

Jason 70

I can't help you with that set up, but mine is the Vision from a few years ago. The rod, reel,line all included. It's a 9ft 9#, it's ok to use, but lacks something that I can't put my finger on. That may seem daft, but i am thinking of upgrading in the new year.

As for river Pike, it's all I do venue wise. And I would say, margins,margins, margins. Yes it's nice to double haul and put a fly across the river. But most of my Pike come from close in, both up and downstream. I always start close in, a little flick out and twitch it back, waft it, hold it, let it drop. They can drive you nuts at times. Following, watching and not taking. Other times, wallop out of no place from under your feet and wham. It makes me jump. The visual aspect of it, for me beats anything. It's great fun it really is. Hopefully we won't get to much rain this winter to put the rivers in the fields. It's been hard going thus far mind you.

KEEP

probably an 8 weight will be fine, use long slim medical forceps and go barbless, a trace I like to use is savage gear raw 49 as it's very supple but still tough and doesn't kink as badly as others I have tried

fly fishing for pike in the winter is not usually a great idea, especially past december - they sort of shut down hunting to conserve energy and switch to scavenging (which is why deadbaiting is so successful), but if you are going to try you will want to position your fly close to the bottom (where the pike will be resting in the warmer water) and work it as slow as possible

right now in autumn is actually the best time for fly fishing as the water is still fairly warm and pike are feeding hard as they want to bulk up on fat in preparation for the coming months, check out surface popper patterns as there is NOTHING in the world as fun as an 9lb pike bursting out of the water free willy style trying to kill your frog!

Rhithrogena

Years since I did this, but a Deer Hair Mouse on a 7wt Daiwa used to get me plenty of Fenland pike up to mid double size in summer. No need for particularly heavy rods to start off with, if you keep the fly sizes down, and don't try casting budgies on them. Very large flies do need heavy lines. The Mice I used were tied on 3/0 Aberdeen hooks. Casted fine on a 7wt, but I never cast more than about 15yds, which was fine for the drains I fished.
A 7/8 wt would work for a bit of small river seatrout and salmon fishing too.

running bear

Looking for info on tackle for getting into pike on the fly. Been thinking about it for a few years and now is the time. I have a good river close by with great pike in it and would like to chase them for the Autumn/Winter. I don't want to buy the wrong gear so I'd like a bit of advice from the pike anglers on here. I did take a look at the Guideline Epik Pike Outfit 9ft #9. It comes with a reel and wf fly line for 289 euros. Any got experience with this kit or recommend another? Also any other tips for chasing river pike on the fly. Cheers.
Weblade, i reckon from your location I both know and fish your chosen venue, primarily for trout, but but with the reduction in good trout I've taken quite a few good pike from it, amd you arent too far from both good canal and other rivers.
A 9'#9is ideal, although no need to go expensive on the rod, less is sometimes more with a pike rod as a medium action is better with the heavy stuff.
If you do maxcatch, the salt pro is excellent, and its only 50 or 60 quid, even with import fees and VAT its a good buy.

Lines, you can spend as much or as little, i use some 40+, over wieghted so their 9 is an 11, useful for big flies. I also use sone cut down talon double tapers, buy them a size or two up and add a running line, really useful in a float tube to change densities quickly. For your nearby venues, a floater is all you need, but if you want to try other venues an inter and fast sinker are useful.
Leader wise, buy some stiff flouro such as berkely big game. I taper 30lb to 20lb, approx 3'of each depending on water, but 20lb straight through would do. Length say 5 to 8 feet max.
Trace, you have a few options. As long as you are using flouro, you can use traditional drennan 7 strand, crimped with a loop at one end for a loop to loop with the flouro. I've pulled 20s out of reeds with that getup and caught dozens on the one flouro trace without damage to the flouro, so it works, but i know sone dont like it. Alternatively use to a small swivel or ring. On the other end get an egg locking snap or similar, criimped in place, many wont fit around the pike hooks, so look for sonething wide enough. Im currently using some from savage gear, look to be doing the job ok.
If you have never crimped before, get the matching (on the small side) drennan slim crimps, eg 15-28lb crimps for 28lb wite, and a pair of needle nose pliers. crimp them 3 times, avoiding the ends and ensure theres a small gap between each. Also ensure the end of the wire is pulled JUST inside the crimp to prevent tangles. This setup is quick, cheap and easy, change traces when overly kinked or a strand breaks.
If you dont like the thought of crimping use somethjng like authanic wire, it can be knotted and in theory pulled stright again, but its not perfect in that respect (crimping is totally secure btw, i have tied traces that have held firm with mammoth pike, two ratified irish 40s were to traces i had tied, as were another 2 unratified 40s, and hundreds >20 without a failure).
Dont buy 49 strand drennan, it kinks like hell. Titatium wire is a decent option too, although more expensive, again crimped as above.

Flies, you can go for scultped baitfish style, using various synthetoc 'hairs'. I do use these, but have moved away from them, they look good to the angler, but there are imho, better fishing flies. A deceiver with a flashly tail, three bucktail collars, half a dozen long hackles (genetics are great for this, but chineese will do) tied under the front collar, with a pair of eyes resined is is my goto now. 6-7" on a size 5/0 is good, i like the bend on wizard pike hooks, although theres many others. These flies are much more mobile, dont get caught up in teeth the same and shed water quickly. I think i put up some photos on a post doobry started on the other species thread. The resin head allows a lovely sink draw action when cast upstream and tweaked back.

Reel wise, if using 40+, you need a good 7-9, a floater will just about fit on a vision koma or orvis clearwater. Old battenkill mid arbour Vs are perfect but hard to get, theres lots of options if you go to 4" reels, but they never feel right on a single hander. Pike dont make long runs, as long as you can get 75 yards of nylon backing or braid on a tight reel, you will be fine.

Fishing the flies, you can go down and accross, but much better to target the bank, upstream and dance the fly back to you, sometimes drifting it into spots before any retrieve. Remember, thet even when a pike takes and you think by the weight on the line it will be hooked, you are likely to lose it quickly unless you pull the hooks home, so bend in early to get the hook a good hold.
Also, learn the figure of eight to get a follower to take, basically figure of 8 the rod tip to get a chaser to commit. The vision lads on kanal gratis demonstrate this brilliantly.

Last edited:

webblade

Weblade, i reckon from your location I both know and fish your chosen venue, primarily for trout, but but with the reduction in good trout I've taken quite a few good pike from it, amd you arent too far from both good canal and other rivers.
A 9'#9is ideal, although no need to go expensive on the rod, less is sometimes more with a pike rod as a medium action is better with the heavy stuff.
If you do maxcatch, the salt pro is excellent, and its only 50 or 60 quid, even with import fees and VAT its a good buy.

Lines, you can spend as much or as little, i use some 40+, over wieghted so their 9 is an 11, useful for big flies. I also use sone cut down talon double tapers, buy them a size or two up and add a running line, really useful in a float tube to change densities quickly. For your nearby venues, a floater is all you need, but if you want to try other venues an inter and fast sinker are useful.
Leader wise, buy some stiff flouro such as berkely big game. I taper 30lb to 20lb, approx 3'of each depending on water, but 20lb straight through would do. Length say 5 to 8 feet max.
Trace, you have a few options. As long as you are using flouro, you can use traditional drennan 7 strand, crimped with a loop at one end for a loop to loop with the flouro. I've pulled 20s out of reeds with that getup and caught dozens on the one flouro trace without damage to the flouro, so it works, but i know sone dont like it. Alternatively use to a small swivel or ring. On the other end get an egg locking snap or similar, criimped in place, many wont fit around the pike hooks, so look for sonething wide enough. Im currently using some from savage gear, look to be doing the job ok.
If you have never crimped before, get the matching (on the small side) drennan slim crimps, eg 15-28lb crimps for 28lb wite, and a pair of needle nose pliers. crimp them 3 times, avoiding the ends and ensure theres a small gap between each. Also ensure the end of the wire is pulled JUST inside the crimp to prevent tangles. This setup is quick, cheap and easy, change traces when overly kinked or a strand breaks.
If you dont like the thought of crimping use somethjng like authanic wire, it can be knotted and in theory pulled stright again, but its not perfect in that respect (crimping is totally secure btw, i have tied traces that have held firm with mammoth pike, two ratified irish 40s were to traces i had tied, as were another 2 unratified 40s, and hundreds >20 without a failure).
Dont buy 49 strand drennan, it kinks like hell. Titatium wire is a decent option too, although more expensive, again crimped as above.

Flies, you can go for scultped baitfish style, using various synthetoc 'hairs'. I do use these, but have moved away from them, they look good to the angler, but there are imho, better fishing flies. A deceiver with a flashly tail, three bucktail collars, half a dozen long hackles (genetics are great for this, but chineese will do) tied under the front collar, with a pair of eyes resined is is my goto now. 6-7" on a size 5/0 is good, i like the bend on wizard pike hooks, although theres many others. These flies are much more mobile, dont get caught up in teeth the same and shed water quickly. I think i put up some photos on a post doobry started on the other species thread. The resin head allows a lovely sink draw action when cast upstream and tweaked back.

Reel wise, if using 40+, you need a good 7-9, a floater will just about fit on a vision koma or orvis clearwater. Old battenkill mid arbour Vs are perfect but hard to get, theres lots of options if you go to 4" reels, but they never feel right on a single hander. Pike dont make long runs, as long as you can get 75 yards of nylon backing or braid on a tight reel, you will be fine.

Fishing the flies, you can go down and accross, but much better to target the far back upstream and dance the fly back to you, sometimes drifting it into spots before any retrieve. Remember, thet even when a pike takes and you think by the weight on the line it will be hooked, you are likely to lose it quickly unless you pull the hooks home, so bend in early to get the hook a good hold.
Also, learn the figure of eight to get a follower to take, basically figure of 8 the rod tip to get a chaser to commit. The vision lads on kanal gratis demonstrate this brilliantly.
Deadly. A lot of good advice there to think about thanks. The river I'm going to be tackling is the River Barrow in Monasterevin. A good section on the canal in Rathangan also, my nephews have been catching good pike there on the spinner. Another rod that caught my eye is the Greys GRC Predator Combo. It's a 9ft 9wt that comes with the QRS Cassette Reel with spare spool, a 9wt floating line and a 9wt intermediate line for only 199 euros. Don't know what the rod is like though. Its a fast action rod.

running bear

If you have never crinped before, get the matching (on the small side) drennan slim crimps, eg 15-28lb crimps for 28lb wite, and a pair of needle nose pliers. crimp them 3 times, avoiding the ends and ensure theres a small gap between each. Also ensure the end of the wire is pulled JUST inside the crimp to prevent tangles. This setup is quick, cheap and easy, change traces when overly kinked or a strand breaks.

Reel wise, if using 40+, you need a good 7-9, a floater will just about fit on a vision koma or orvis clearwater. Old battenkill mid arbour Vs are perfect but hard to get, theres lots of options if you go to 4" reels, but they never feel right o a si gke hander. Puke dont make long runs, as long as you can get 75 yards of nylon backing or braid on a tight reel, you will be fine.

Fishing the flies, you can go down and accross, but much better to target the far back upstream and dance the fly back to you, sometimes drifting it into spots before any retrieve. Remember, thet even when a pike takes and you think by the weight on the line it will be hooked, you are likely to lose it quickly unless you pull the hooks home, so bend in early to get the hook a good hold.
Also, learn the figure of eight to get a floower to take, basically fisgure of 8 the rod tip to get a chaser to commit. The vision lads on kanal gratis demonstrate tjis brilliantly.

Deadly. A lot of good advice there to think about thanks. The river I'm going to be tackling is the River Barrow in Monasterevin. A good section on the canal in Rathangan also, my nephews have been catching good pike there on the spinner. Another rod that caught my eye is the Greys GRC Predator Combo. It's a 9ft 9wt that comes with the QRS Cassette Reel with spare spool, a 9wt floating line and a 9wt intermediate line for only 199 euros. Don't know what the rod is like though. Its a fast action rod.
For 199, i doubt its really fast, they just dont sell many if they advertise as medium. Honestly, the rod isnt that important, assuming its not a total noodle, the lines make the rods with pike fishing and any modern 9wt shoukd be capable. It isn't a huge amount to start, although full lines arent as useful as heads and if you didnt like it, you could get most back.
A couple of talons and John Norris running line would serve you better assuming you double haul.
Adverts have a few pike/salt rods in at the moment, but people looking silly money for fairly ordinary stuff.

bobmiddlepoint

As for river Pike, it's all I do venue wise. And I would say, margins,margins, margins.

To take this a step further if the river is suitable (deep to the edge with undercuts, weedbeds or alongside reeds) then jigging right under the rod top can be very good. I used to do a lot of this on one of the chalkstreams. The jig fly doesn't have to be very big, about 2" overall length was my go to size. You'll need some reasonably heavy dumbbell eyes to make it dive and using some sort of loop knot helps with the jigging action as the fly can swing freely. I never bothered with jig hooks, just use straight eyed short shank singles. It's quite something to hook a big pike right under the rod tip and if the water holds salmon/sea trout a surprising number of them will fall to the method too (although they will of course all be out of season now).

Andy

webblade

Thanks for the info lads. I'll have time to think about which rod I won't make a purchase until I have santa sorted for the kids first. In the meantime I am going to go chasing jackpike on the canal with my 6wt and buggers or zonkers. Just have to sort out a trace I'll look into the info you gave me about them running bear thanks.

pentlandflyman

Shakespeare XPS 9ft #8 is an ideal rod for pike, you can spend more but you really don't need to. A decent reel that holds plenty backing and an Airflo sniper floating line. For a trace you won't find better than a titanium single strand wire with a mustad fast attach link, it won't kink or break and will last as long as you want, I used the same one for a whole season and its still in perfect condition.

A big net, an unhooking mat and the correct tools for getting the hook out are a must, you don't want to be putting your hand in a big snot rockets mouth! If you're wanting pike flies then buy the best and give mcfluffchucker a Google, Dave Lindsay is his name and his flies are superb and responsible for some huge fish from the top anglers worldwide.

It's great fun and a great way to catch them, I've not had any river pike yet but had plenty out lochs and canals on the fly and the fight can be amazing, a big double snot rocket tearing away ain't easy to stop. You could get away with a #7 but turning over the big wind resistant flies ain't easy so an #8 is about ideal. Check out river piker on YouTube as well.

Good luck.

willie_r

Shakespeare XPS 9ft #8 is an ideal rod for pike, you can spend more but you really don't need to. A decent reel that holds plenty backing and an Airflo sniper floating line. For a trace you won't find better than a titanium single strand wire with a mustad fast attach link, it won't kink or break and will last as long as you want, I used the same one for a whole season and its still in perfect condition.

A big net, an unhooking mat and the correct tools for getting the hook out are a must, you don't want to be putting your hand in a big snot rockets mouth! If you're wanting pike flies then buy the best and give mcfluffchucker a Google, Dave Lindsay is his name and his flies are superb and responsible for some huge fish from the top anglers worldwide.

It's great fun and a great way to catch them, I've not had any river pike yet but had plenty out lochs and canals on the fly and the fight can be amazing, a big double snot rocket tearing away ain't easy to stop. You could get away with a #7 but turning over the big wind resistant flies ain't easy so an #8 is about ideal. Check out river piker on YouTube as well.

Good luck.
I've also been wanting to give pike on the fly a go.
I have bought most, if not all the gear i'd need.
"Thanks, Maxcatch!"
Now I'm looking to find somewhere to go that's relatively close to hand.
I live in West Lothian.
Do you have any suggestions?

Willie

webblade

Good luck.
Thanks Pentlandflyman. Where can I buy that trace or do I buy the wire and make it myself?

pentlandflyman

I've also been wanting to give pike on the fly a go.
I have bought most, if not all the gear i'd need.
"Thanks, Maxcatch!"
Now I'm looking to find somewhere to go that's relatively close to hand.
I live in West Lothian.
Do you have any suggestions?

Willie
The canal in falkirk is good, had them upto 12lb and they are well spread out so cast and walk and cover the water, fish along the pontoons and barges.

Rhithrogena

Fishing the flies, you can go down and accross, but much better to target the bank, upstream and dance the fly back to you, sometimes drifting it into spots before any retrieve. Remember, thet even when a pike takes and you think by the weight on the line it will be hooked, you are likely to lose it quickly unless you pull the hooks home, so bend in early to get the hook a good hold.
Brilliant info, ta 👍

willie_r

The canal in falkirk is good, had them upto 12lb and they are well spread out so cast and walk and cover the water, fish along the pontoons and barges.
I've never fished the canal much past Linlithgow. Nothing bigger than 3lb, although that was spinning, not fly.

Latest posts