Help me out

aaronwallac3

Hi
Looking to get a singlehand fly rod 10ft 8wt with a bit of backbone and not to wippy for singlehand salmon and trout fishing on a spate river can anyone recommend somthing decent was looking at tfo

mcxfisher

I use an old model Vision Nite Catapult 10', which does a tidy job on salmon and casts an easy line, included single-handed Spey. You should be able to find a used example cheaply either here or on SFF, or possibly on eBay.

taffy1

There's a plethora of 10' #8 weight rods out there that are very capable with the pursuit of catching salmon. Today's modern carbon fibre rods are well equipped in doing such. However, as has been said in many which/what rod the best advice is to try before you actually buy. Unfortunately, under the current circumstances, this may not be a possibility.

Last edited:

zulu fly

You have missed a 10' #8 Loomis GLX 2p a week ago on ebay for around £200.
As you are in Scotland you may be able to pick up a 9'9" #7-9 2p Daiwa Whisker Kevlar Tournament second hand - these are bomb proof. ( there is somthing about a 2piece rod on a river.)
For a modern rod go for a Loop Evotec 10' #8 mf
If that helps.

Euros Jones

speytime

With rods of 9/10 ft do you have to false cast for a bit of distance?
No not necessarily, you need a bit of line speed to gain distance, how you gain the speed comes down to your skills/experience, either false casts or double haul.
Less false casts the better imho.

Last edited:

jbe3

I would agree with Zulu Fly. I've used a Loomis GLX 10' 7wt on lochs and small rivers for salmon and sea trout, it has coped well with fish up to 14lb. The 7wt manages an 8wt floating line no problem. I do use a more traditional salmon outfit on bigger rivers with a longer rod offering more control of the line.

aaronwallac3

I do also own a daiwa whisker 2 pc 11ft 8wt forgot to mention haha and a tfo axiom 2 switch. But was just looking for a single hander and the tfo pro 2 is better then some hardys i have used before the casting is like a cannon also haha
I do also

Moorsman

I use an orvis Clearwater 10’ , 8 wt caught lots of salmon on it ,great rod .