Fly Fishing Forum banner

Help needed

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Shutty70 
#1 ·
Hi all

I need some help, its been a long time since I fished as a lad of 14 and will some day come back to it, however i have joined needing help.

We are currently starting the fight for a small village in North Yorkshire objecting to what is an Egg factory proposed on the outskirts with drainage into important streams. This isnt a farm, this is 200,000 hens, one of the biggest in the UK consisting of three 258metre long buildings in an area of conservations and an area that feeds into the Cod Beck.

Cod beck runs though Thirsk and 6 miles upstream the fishing rights belong to Knayton fishing club, however we are struggling to find somebody to help.

There is a significant concern of ammonia entering the water course and into cod beck from some of the hens and when the buildings are washed out chemicals, of which only a silt trap to filter is planned.

We are of course in discussions with the environmental health, the village in a week has currently raised £5000 for legal bills, built a website, received over 1000 objections online, recruited a planning consultant and we also have the support of the Ramblers association.

If anyone has any contact with Knayton, or anyone in any fishing organisation that can help please let me know.

You can find more info here

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

See less See more
#3 ·
I have fished Cod Beck many a time, caught, grayling, trout and chub on the fly and on the float and ledger.
Great wee spot.
Perhaps you should try and get in touch with this gentleman.

That area is his patch, and he has just done videos about Cod Beck and Thirsk.
I believe he is a bailiff for the Leeds and District angling club.
So I am thinking he would know quite a bit about the area and who you could contact about getting help.

When I was fishing there there was a couple of times where the water did turn a milky gray and dead fish were piling up at the wear at the top end of the town section.
So pollution there is not a new thing.

#8 ·
I'm interested to hear how any nearby waterways would be polluted?
I'd imagine the chemicals which are used to clean the sheds would be a factor. Until recently I delivered a lot of it to farms, its nasty stuff they use for cleaning chicken sheds. I'm sure it couldn't be good if a lot of it got in to the becks.

Broad beck (cod beck tributary) suffered a major pollution incident a couple of years ago from which I understand it's still recovering. Pollution from a farm, I'm not sure if it was a chicken farm, I think you have to be careful with such a large scale development so close to the beck though? I saw a sign protesting about this factory the other day but didn't realise it was going to be so big.

#9 ·
I run a 32,000 free range hen unit. Admittedly we aren’t near a watercourse but I fail to see how chemicals could get in to a watercourse, and as for the ammonia...well it’s next to non existent. In my opinion it’s people clutching at straws because they don’t want the shed built!

#10 ·
I run a 32,000 free range hen unit. Admittedly we aren't near a watercourse but I fail to see how chemicals could get in to a watercourse, and as for the ammonia...well it's next to non existent. In my opinion it's people clutching at straws because they don't want the shed built!
Ha ha, I was just discussing with my girlfriend that a lot of people signing this petition will be because the sheds are an eyesore next to their big houses and that's it.
I suppose I wouldn't want it built either.
Obviously most Joe bloggs don't care about the fish in the river, if its getting built anyway but people kick up a fuss about 'pollution' , maybe that at least will limit any chance of it being an issue?

#13 ·
20 year since I visited the daughters boy friends chicken farm it stunk she's binned him since so I haven't been back since but I remember it stunk also I was in the brigade at the time and on occasion we had to feed water to the battery chickens they stunk as well

#18 ·
Hi All

thanks to those who have objected it is appreciated.
I accept its not for everyone. We have been busy raising money for a legal objection and have over 300 objections with the council. Given the lack of info this may run for quite a while yet.

we are a village that watches tractors fly past, cows walk the roads, we are more than use to farming living. These are however 3 240 m long units with almost 200,000 birds, the biggest in the uk, this isnt a farm its a factory really and to put into perspective over 1000 trucks needed for the foundations alone which will
Impact water run off and flooding, im sure you know what that can result in for fishing.

A lot of work is being done to protect the streams going into the cod beck which will then run through Thirsk, there are otters there amongst other things and we dont want to see that damaged either.

Each to there own, just a thank you for those that have supported us and i hope we can support you with healthy fishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.