Help with my rod

markemark21

Hi guys not too sure I'm in the right section.
But my scott 4wt has got a bit loose in the mid section almost falls out. I have waxed the part where it connects but has made it looser just wondered if I could fix it my self or send it to someone to fix. I know I have a life time warranty but I dont want to send to states at this current time. I've attached some pics so you can see what part I mean

Attachments

Mrtrout

Hi Mark, the old spigot joint problem, I take it from your picture that it is pushed fully home but still loose?
You can buy a spray of graphite build up, never tried it but I think you can spray the male part and it builds up each time ensuring a tight fit.
S.

markemark21

That's not all the way, thay can go all the way to the edges and still loose ok I might get that spray

splinters

I've used that spray or one very like it in the past. It works well. Tape off the rest of the section, a quick spray while rotating it and let dry. Try the fit and go again if necessary. Fine wet and dry to remove it if you put on too much. It takes very little to build up the ferrule.
Simon.

markemark21

I've used that spray or one very like it in the past. It works well. Tape off the rest of the section, a quick spray while rotating it and let dry. Try the fit and go again if necessary. Fine wet and dry to remove it if you put on too much. It takes very little to build up the ferrule.
Simon.
Thanks I guess I had To mask off. I Just hope it wworks sure it will

kingf000

I treated my old orvis spigot rod with toluene diluted 1:1 epoxy, very thin coat, then smoothed it off with the finest wet&dry (wet) I could get. Seemed to work great.

Rhithrogena

So if I understand correctly the actual blank sections are touching with no gap where the spigot is? Has this happened suddenly? Check carefully that the tip section female side isn't cracked. If this has occurred gradually then the classic rod-builder solution is to carefully saw TINY rings off the tip/ female side of the blank, with a really fine hacksaw, until the right fit is achieved. This allows the spigot to push further into the female side until it is tight. This would clearly void your warranty in this instance but is worth knowing. I built up some Fibatube blanks many years ago that came with the spigot not fitted.Too much Araldite when glueing them in on my first ones meant there wasn't enough spigot protruding from the joint for the tip (female) section to snug down onto. The only thing to do was to trim back the tip mm by mm until it fit. I soon learnt that the correct amount of glue was almost none!!
I wish we could get the same variety of cheap glass blanks these days - they were great. I still have a couple of quite beefy 9'6" 7-9 clasic brown Fibatubes that cast brilliantly. Basically Hardy Richard Walker Superlites but a fraction longer. The thick blanks are draggy in a wind but totally useable today, and very forgiving when chucking budgies for bass and pike (built them for pike back in the early 80's from blanks from JB Walkers of Hythe.....)
Rich

Rhithrogena

Meant to add that if the female ferrule IS cracked, then clearly it's a warranty claim job....

Rhithrogena

Just remembering another possibility. It is possible for the male end of the spigot to slip back into the male/butt side of the joint if the epoxy glueing it in has broken down. This has the same symptoms - no gap between sections and a sloppy fit.

markemark21

Just remembering another possibility. It is possible for the male end of the spigot to slip back into the male/butt side of the joint if the epoxy glueing it in has broken down. This has the same symptoms - no gap between sections and a sloppy fit.
Just had a closer look cant see no cracks Or damage it's very loose and when I connect the two and pretend to cast it makes a faint knocking sound.

markemark21

I have checked the spigot and is solid. I've ordered graphite spray it's on it's way I'll try that first

Overmiwadrers

Personally if its a Scott and you have the warranty I would send it back . Used the Winston Warranty a couple of times and Scott have a similar scheme . If you spray the ferrule bang goes your warranty....It is possible that there is a crack in the female section but not visible . Are all the other ferrules worn the same ?. or is it a 2 piece?

O M W