Help with the Fritz on a Humungus

Cam

I dont fish stillwaters much but I have a planned trip to Orkney and have been advised that I should tie up some Humungus (Humungi) in Gold & Silver.

There seems to be enough patterns around on-line but I could do with some help specifying the correct materials.

I plan on using Kamasan B175 hooks #8's so materials should be matched to that hook size.

I am thinking Chain eyes in about 3.5 - 4mm
I have a selection of wires so can select what looks best to my eye
Black Marabou

Struggling to decide what is the most appropriate Gold/Silver Fritz to use so any advice on size/brand or source would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Cam

pentlandflyman

flybox straggle in undyed gold and silver makes a lovely humungus or the plain gold and silver cactus from veniard. you can use dubbing like glister or lite brite and give it a good brush out for a lovely body on them. don't be afraid to try something a bit different.

Reactions: Cam

Cap'n Fishy

don't be afraid to try something a bit different.
In the process of mucking about with the clear/pearly fritz, I discovered that dyeing it blue dun gives a nice 'silvery' colouration.

As for Humunguses - silver for me - never done much with gold. I like it tied on a B270 double. A couple of strands of silver flashabou in with the marabou gives it a bit extra flash...

One of our guys had a ferox of 8 lb 8 oz on Loch Arkaig on a Humungus, a few years back...

Col

anith

I dont fish stillwaters much but I have a planned trip to Orkney and have been advised that I should tie up some Humungus (Humungi) in Gold & Silver.

There seems to be enough patterns around on-line but I could do with some help specifying the correct materials.

I plan on using Kamasan B175 hooks #8's so materials should be matched to that hook size.

Black Marabou

Struggling to decide what is the most appropriate Gold/Silver Fritz to use so any advice on size/brand or source would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Cam

Black Marabou

Thanks

Cam

anith

Try fishteaserflies on ebay 1.25 metre all kamasam hooks 2.25 for 25 free postage

Cap'n Fishy

If you buy undyed Fritz from dressmaking sites, it is pennies per mile compared to 'fly-tying' prices.

Col

Andrew Rourke

I use dubbed silver lite brite. Like Col I have had not had as much success with gold to the point I just don't bother.

ian1104

sorry to hijack - but what body hackle do people use on a hummungus?

Cap'n Fishy

Usually it's natural grizzle, but I guess you can dye it or use others, just as effectively.

Col

lukewarm

If you buy undyed Fritz from dressmaking sites, it is pennies per mile compared to 'fly-tying' prices.

Col
Out of interest (although I've never used fritz) what does the dressmaking industry call it? , doubtful they call it fritz .. do they?

Cap'n Fishy

Out of interest (although I've never used fritz) what does the dressmaking industry call it? , doubtful they call it fritz .. do they?
Good question - I will need to find out, as I was given a big bag of it with no label on it.

Col

colliedog

I'll give a shout out for the maligned gold body. Works for me especially on a bright day for brownies.

However my stand out pattern the last couple of years for browns on lochs and as a streamer on rivers is a version tied with with a black based body (peacock glister or black/green mosaic dubbing) and fluo orange bead chain. Contrasts nicely with the grizzle hackle.

Latest posts