Help with which rod to buy for loch fishing from the bank

Johnny McEachen

Good morning. I've been fly-fishing on and off for years with a basic cheap rod #8 9'6 but its time to upgrade. my problem is that with my rod I use I can fish a single fly no problem but when I try and fish droppers I'm struggling with tangles as the loop is tight. I'm looking for a new rod and reel that will help me but I'm not experienced enough to decide rod size/weight of line and action of rod to make a proper decision. I've been looking at 10' #7 rods such as the GR60 or the Wychwood rs series. any help would be much appreciated

keef68

Hi Johnny

Most people would advise you to try a rod before you buy it (good advice), but with the situation we’re all in at the moment that’s not always possible.

It kind of depends what kind of fishing you’re doing. If you use heavy sinking lines a lot, then a 10’ 7wt would probably be a good option, but if you mainly use floater and intermediates, you might want to consider going down to a 6wt. Personally I like a 9’ 6” rod for fishing from the bank, but that really is down to personal preference.

Both the rods you mention are good - I know people who have them, and they’re really happy with them. There just so much choice nowadays to be honest! Another one to consider would be the Vision Onki.

Cheers

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keef68

Sorry - just remembered another couple of rods you might want to look at:

Guideline Elevation 9’9” 7wt

Loop Evotec

Loop Cross SX

The Loop rods are available on the Loop Outlet store and are heavily discounted.

The current issue of Trout & Salmon also has a review of 10’ 7wt rods.

Cheers

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icejohn

A slightly longer rod helps keep the line a little bit higher and creat a bigger line loop so in theory you should be able to cast multiple flies that much easier. No reason why your currant rod can't either mind. Tip = slow things down but make sure the tippet 3 flies straightens out on the back cast. With one fly it's easier to cast as you tend to just watch the fly line not the tippet on the back cast.

The 10ft 7wt is the bread and butter choice. Both models you have named will do the job.

Personally think any rod about the 150 quid range is fine.

In fact I can't remember the last time I picked a rod up and thought that's terrible. So long as the rod has the aftm markings on it they do what they designed to do.

Last edited:

BobP

First thing I'd look at is your leader make-up. How close together are the flies? What pattern goes where on the leader? How long is the leader? All of those will influence tangles to a greater or lesser extent.

Johnny McEachen

thanks for getting back to me so soon, great advice which has been taken on board. I will have a look on the loop outlet store and see what's on offer. I've only just taken fly-fishing back up after a good few years so all the advice I can get is welcomed.

Johnny McEachen

First thing I'd look at is your leader make-up. How close together are the flies? What pattern goes where on the leader? How long is the leader? All of those will influence tangles to a greater or lesser extent.
hi bob, fishing a team of flies is relatively new to me, ive been using a 9ft tapered floating leader and two flies at the end around 4/5 foot apart. i had a dawlbach on the end with a buzer on the dropper but as i said its been more trial and error than anything

PaulD

Johnny, a couple of things stand out from your post. Firstly, we don't know how and where you're fishing or what for. If you're bank fishing for wild trout, your 8wt, 9ft rod is a bit of a 'beast', the sort and size of rod one might consider for Pike fishing.

The other thing is your concern that when casting with a team of flies, the loop is too tight. When you're casting, it's you that controls the width of the loop, whether the rod is 9ft or 10ft or whether it's described as a fast, medium or through action.

Lots of people will recommend rods, rods they use and are happy to recommend, but again. without knowing how and where you're going to be fishing. The other thing, of course, is that you may have the youthful physique of a British Lion Second Row or, alternatively, be like me, late 60s, 5ft 9"and with a bad back!

I don't know your area but you're not you're not a million miles from Glasgow and it might be possible, with Covid restrictions beginning to ease, that you may be able to get to a tackle shop and try a range of rods that may suit where you're fishing and your casting. It may also be a winning investment to get some advice about how to control your loop size . . .

Bawnbrack

A slightly longer rod helps keep the line a little bit higher and creat a bigger line loop so in theory you should be able to cast multiple flies that much easier. No reason why your currant rod can't either mind. Tip = slow things down but make sure the tippet 3 flies straightens out on the back cast. With one fly it's easier to cast as you tend to just watch the fly line not the tippet on the back cast. The 10ft 7wt is the bread and butter choice. Both models you have named will do the job. Personally think any rod about the 150 quid range is fine. In fact I can't remember the last time I picked a rod up and thought that's terrible. So long as the rod has the aftm markings on it they do what they designed to do.
Yes I agree with this. I have cast with £600 rods and also with £150 rods of this size. The differences are hardly noticeable. It's a bit like cars - they're all pretty good nowadays, they rarely break down and many use the same components.

Johnny McEachen

I phoned this morning and spoke to the Glasgow angling centre about going in and trying out different rods next week so hopefully they can help me out a bit aswel. Paul I have sent an email to an instructor in Renfrewshire about a lesson also I'm just waiting on a reply so I'm hoping that it's still a possibility with the restrictions at the moment. I mostly fish local fisheries around howwood/largs/Neilston for rainbows and wild brown.

PaulD

I phoned this morning and spoke to the Glasgow angling centre about going in and trying out different rods next week so hopefully they can help me out a bit aswel. Paul I have sent an email to an instructor in Renfrewshire about a lesson also I'm just waiting on a reply so I'm hoping that it's still a possibility with the restrictions at the moment. I mostly fish local fisheries around howwood/largs/Neilston for rainbows and wild brown.

Excellent - enjoy!

fishing hobo

I see you are going to see an instructor. Wise move. You can pay several hundred pounds for a rod but you will still get the tangles if you don't know what to do with your casting with multiple droppers and be just as frustrated. PaulD alluded to opening your loop a little more, you can do that with your current rod so getting an instructor to help is a great move.

Jem68

I am currently fishing lochs from the bank with a 10 foot 6wt GR60, Wychwood feather down floating line in 7wt and level leaders between 7lbs and 10lbs b/s, usually 15' in length and with a team of two or three flies distributed at 11' and point, or 9', 12' and point respectively. This set up works easily for me with few tangles, especially with a heavy point fly and a good following breeze. I far from an adept caster, more of a learner with moderate competence. I just concentrate on the basics of working the rod tip in a high, straight trajectory, letting the loop straighten before starting the next stroke and keeping my casting arm on the downwind side.