Hen Hackle Supplier

Flymaniac

As per the title, I'm seeking a recommended supplier of black hen hackle for tails and chins on diawl bachs. I'm new to tying and finding quality material a mindfield. Any advice appreciated ;)

Flymaniac

Cookshill, reasonably priced but very high quality.
Thanks Scotty. I take it I should be looking for a full cape ? The tyer's on Youtube just state a hen hackle and show a single feather and how to remove a bunch from the stem, but not where they take the feather from.

mr_eejit

Thanks Scotty. I take it I should be looking for a full cape ? The tyer's on Youtube just state a hen hackle and show a single feather and how to remove a bunch from the stem, but not where they take the feather from.
Don't matter where you take the feather from as long as the feather barbs are long enough to make the tail and chin/beard

Scotty Mitchell

Yes go for a full cape, I’d suggest getting a Red Game hen cape while you are there, it’s another handy colour to have 👍