Hen hackles for dry flies

kerryjordan

Recently I’ve been tying up dries using fairly dense genetic hen hackles. They seem to catch fish and float well if a decent amount of hackle is used. I now tend to tie paraloop or parachute patterns.
Historically I know that rooster hackles were preferred but the quality of the Whiting hen product seems more than adequate for dries. They also seem to wrap better around posts without a tendency to try to turn upside down.
It would be most interesting to hear others’ experiences.

Rhithrogena

Yep, I like a hen hackle for some dries. I think they float better up to a point. They seem somehow buggier than cock hackles. I like a fly that I can fish wet, dry or damp actually. A Black KeHe with several turns of genetic hen is a fantastically versatile fly (dry as a beetle, damp as an emerger, wet as, say, a snail). Once hen hackles are wet they stay wet, but it's easy to change the fly.

m r roid

Thanks for the inspiration!!
I might try a few parachute hackles dries with hen hackles 👍😊👍😊

arkle

Memories of the late Richard Walker's "footprint" theories are being brought to mind. When the only commercially available "genetic hackle" were Metz & they had only just started to appear & compared to today's feathers, they are worlds apart.