He's Fallen in the Water,( High pitched Squeaky voice)

ohanzee

With regard to being stranded in a remote location and you want to summon help...
A signal can be a problem in some places, but actually the biggest problem I have had with mobile phones in remote places is a dud battery, I switch off now and stick in a waterproof plastic thing someone gave me.
The thing not to do in remote places with a phone is....lets just get a pic of this beauty for the foru.....sploosh:oops:

Same for car keys Derek:)

The satellite location thing on that is a pretty neat trick actually.

thetrouttickler

This^^^^^^^.
Being an ex reconnaissance platoon soldier, I know I can be a bit blasé at times in the "field", but one minor slip one day on the North Assynt estate rammed it home.
I was on my own, and had not fished the route I had suggested to my Mrs.
I simply slipped on a rock and quickly righted myself, but the thought shot in, what if I had went down and hit my head.... Approx 2 hours from a road.... No one knew even roughly where I was...... Jeez. I actually felt sick. I think it's an age thing.
Nowadays I don't stray far from where I said I was going if I'm alone.
We are not indestructible.
Something similar happened to me in NZ. I was all on my own, in a gorge. It meant I had to do a lot of rock hopping. Some of the rocks were larger than cars.

gorge.JPG
I didn't have a phone, and nobody knew where I was.

It rained lightly in the afternoon, so the rocks were slippery when I was walking back out. I was tired and probably not concentrating hard enough. I slipped, and fell off a rock and landed on a sharp rock on my side. My fall was broken by my arm, but I ended up cracking a rib (hurt for weeks after, couldn't laugh and definitely no sneezing!). The wind was knocked out of me. I got up groggily, and walked out. When I got back to civilisation after an hour walk, I realised my watch had come off. I went back and found it between the rocks. Now that was a demoralising extra two hours there and back!

That whole incident could have turned out a lot worse.

Scotty Mitchell

Something similar happened to me in NZ. I was all on my own, in a gorge. It meant I had to do a lot of rock hopping. Some of the rocks were larger than cars.

View attachment 29310
I didn't have a phone, and nobody knew where I was.

It rained lightly in the afternoon, so the rocks were slippery when I was walking back out. I was tired and probably not concentrating hard enough. I slipped, and fell off a rock and landed on a sharp rock on my side. My fall was broken by my arm, but I ended up cracking a rib (hurt for weeks after, couldn't laugh and definitely no sneezing!). The wind was knocked out of me. I got up groggily, and walked out. When I got back to civilisation after an hour walk, I realised my watch had come off. I went back and found it between the rocks. Now that was a demoralising extra two hours there and back!

That whole incident could have turned out a lot worse.
That is a painful looking gorge!!! Everything is sharp!! 😁

bobnudd

Mmmmm not sure, I cycled into a steel gate in the dark that wasn't erected when I left going the other way, the gaps were big enough to take the whole bike so my head hit the top bit first, split my scalp and fractured my skull, one of those 'think I'll just sit down and have a wee sleep here' moments:)fortunately a sensible person got me up and saw me safely back on the bike, don't remember much more than my sister screaming(I went to her house for some reason) and arriving at hospital where I felt absolutely fine despite not being 100% certain why I was covered in blood and missing a shoe, I knew my name but couldn't put my finger on it, heavy concussion, anyway after they glued my scalp back together and I had come round a bit my sister showed me a picture, my skull was showing with a big flap of scalp hanging:eek: an hour earlier I was wandering about accident and emergency like that with blood all down my front wearing one shoe telling people that I was fine😛

Unfortunately I can only be nails when concussed, the next day was a different story, so no, to be as nails as Fishtales we would need to do that bit then go fishing for 6 days in the middle of nowhere then go back to work!
It was a cold July day 3 years ago and it was cold. I was fishing up at the Teifi pools when I slipped on a rock and fell about 2' in to the lake. I landed on my right knee in 6'' of water. Once my so called friend had stop laughing he came and gave me a hand out. Now we were both advanced casualty care trained and decided it was just bruised and the best thing to do walk it off. So I carried on fishing and I think sanding in the cold water helped. But when I got back in the car after being helped out of my waders it started to swell up. By the time I got home I had to cut my trousers off and the wife wanted to take me hospital. But I told her to stop fussing it would be fine just needed to rest it a bit. So for the next few month I hobbled about at work and home with the wife nagging me to get it seen to. Then in the October we were in Madeira and I just happened to mention that my knee was a bit sore . Well the the wife blew a gasket . So when I got back home I had an x-ray, turns out I had chipped the bone. By now this had calcified and stopping the knee operating properly and done some damage to the cartilage. So that ment keyhole surgery and endless I told you so from the wife

Last edited:

speytime

This^^^^^^^.
Being an ex reconnaissance platoon soldier, I know I can be a bit blasé at times in the "field", but one minor slip one day on the North Assynt estate rammed it home.
I was on my own, and had not fished the route I had suggested to my Mrs.
I simply slipped on a rock and quickly righted myself, but the thought shot in, what if I had went down and hit my head.... Approx 2 hours from a road.... No one knew even roughly where I was...... Jeez. I actually felt sick. I think it's an age thing.
Nowadays I don't stray far from where I said I was going if I'm alone.
We are not indestructible.
I didn't give face planting a tree and being left unconscious in the water a thought until I wrote the post yesterday, I passed the spot I fell at yesterday morning for the millionth time and I though to myself how badly that could have ended, its only 10/15ft from the main footpath but I'd never have been seen, being my local I don't wear my life jacket I'm ashamed to say.

Sony phones... I bought them specifically for fishing, i got the new xz dropped it on week one and cracked the screen 😭 I dropped it in the river for a second or two through the week but it appears to be okay.

Note self get a new one ASAP.

Al

Last edited:

pvthubbard

My experience wasn't in a river, so glad it wasn't. For my brothers 50th we went paintballing with nephews nieces and friends, all youngsters. Great day, fun had by all until the last 30 minutes when i was attempting to run up a hill whilst being peppered with paintballs and bloody paint grenades. Got halfway up the hill and whack, face first in the dirt, still being shot at, wondering who had smacked me with a cricket bat. Nobody had hit me, both of my achilles snapped at the same time, years of tendonitis had worn them away apparentley. No pain at all, having lived with tendonitis for 15yrs it was a bloody relief.

My first thought after i had realised what had happened was, thank the lord i wasn't wading in the Irfon when it happened:eek: i would have been a goner, feet just flopping around unable to stand.

fingask

yes once again I proved my ability to be a complete divvy,up at our local loch missed a couple of fish , it was very gusty , turned round to come off this rocky bit,got caught by a gust of wind and hey presto, measured my length in the water, then to compound the felony after putting my gear in the boot , didn't I just go an lock my self out, the wife is away with the spare key, so the local garage is sorting it out, the saying is true there is no fool like an old fool, and I am the living proof,I was lucky I came away with nothing worse than bent dignity and a staved pinkie, and very wet clothes, easker1
Guys who was the guy that used to jump in the river with his waders on to show you how to survive a dunkin Hugh ? He wrote a sea trout book if I remember

smallmouth

I saw that Hugh Falkus video and remembered it later, when I found myself floundering in deep water wearing thigh waders.

I used to fish an upland reservoir with steep drop offs, and was up the neck end casting a dry fly toward a steadily rising fish.

Straining for distance, I kept shuffling out along what I imagined was a shallow bar with a slightly deeper shelf either side. Eventually I got just within range, and hooked the fish at some distance. In the excitement, I forgot the deviations of my route out, and started wading straight backwards toward the bank, playing the fish.

Next thing I knew I was under water and fortunately remembered to bend my knees to trap some air in my waders, which soon tilted me back up to the surface. A left handed back stroke got me back to shallow water, where I found the fish still on! It was a brownie of about 1lb......

I used to smoke back then, but sat on a log in my underpants with a cup of tea, (fortunately for public decency, I didn't have a physique like an easter egg back then), with all my other clothes drying on the willows, I found that my cigarettes and lighter were soaked. However I had a back up box of matches in my bag which had been left on the bank. And I found a single Hamlet cigar, still in it's cellophane, in my sodden Bob Church corduroy fly waistcoat.

Cue, "air on a G string"........................

During a red hot summer a few years later, the reservoir was almost completely dry, bar a large pool at the dam. I walked on the dry sand of the reservoir bed up to the neck end, and staring up at the precipice I'd fallen off, I realised just how lucky I'd been.

shropshire_lad

With regard to being stranded in a remote location and you want to summon help.

You might already be aware of this app , if so I apologise .

When off the beaten track and you need to let someone else know your precise location , it could be to let a fishing pal know exactly where you are on the riverbank or waters edge or god forbid an emergency in a rural location
Then what 3 words could help
The app developers have covered the globe with a grid - each square on the grid is 3 metres square
So you can pinpoint your location anywhere in the world to within three metres.
Each square is designated 3 words .
If you relay these three words to your mate , assuming they have the app , or the emergency services then they will know exactly where you are .
A lot less complicated than OS grid references and easy to use.

Even offline it can be used in a limited way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used to do a similar thing years ago when mountain walking in Wales on my own. This was in the time before mobile phones and IT. I had a pad of paper and wrote my details, planned route, expected return time, etc on a sheet and placed it inside th windscreen of my car.

Likewise, when working for a major Utility I never relied totally on the company solo working systems and when out-and-about would phone my wife when entering a site and again when leaving.

A bit of common sense goes a long way although I have been known to do my daft share of things.

As for the chat about mobiles and batteries going dead, a fully charged back up USB battery is probably a good idea.