Hi From West of Ireland

Flyfussin

Hi All,

Only came across this forum recently and thought Id join up and learn and share over the winter months :)

Fly fishing for many years for Trout, Salmon, Pike, etc. but mainly trout in recent years although I decided to go back to Pike this year and Salmon (next season) and possibly a bit of salt water fishing this winter.

Intend going after Pike again over the coming months after a long absense from chasing them :) miss the buzz of a hook up when they take.

Treated myself to a new rod recently so on the hunt for a new reel so I'll be checking out the opinions on here. Nothing like researching for new gear when you can't get out fishing :D

Tight lines and safe fishing to you all whatever you fish for and Im looking forward to learning a bit from your posts.

Last edited:

JoeOh

Hi Flyfussin, where in the West are you to be fishing?
I've had good pike from Ballycuirke Lough on a surface plug. I used to fish the spots in the evening just vacated by the coarse anglers, having just emptied their keepnets. Big pike were often in attendance, 19lb/20lb up !
So I am sure that a fly would be effective.
Stuck here in the UK and not happy having missed out on two Irish salmon trips so far, but probably wouldn't have done well in the dry conditions of May...

GEK79

I've had good pike from Ballycuirke Lough on a surface plug. I used to fish the spots in the evening just vacated by the coarse anglers, having just emptied their keepnets. Big pike were often in attendance, 19lb/20lb up !
Stuck here in the UK and not happy having missed out on two Irish salmon trips so far, but probably wouldn't have done well in the dry conditions of May...
Hope you'll get over next season.. 👍👍

GEK79

Hi All,

Only came across this forum recently and thought Id join up and learn and share over the winter months :)

Fly fishing for many years for Trout, Salmon, Pike, etc. but mainly trout in recent years although I decided to go back to Pike this year and Salmon (next season) and possibly a bit of salt water fishing this winter.

Intend going after Pike again over the coming months after a long absense from chasing them :) miss the buzz of a hook up when they take.

Treated myself to a new rod recently so on the hunt for a new reel so I'll be checking out the opinions on here. Nothing like researching for new gear when you can't get out fishing :D

Tight lines and safe fishing to you all whatever you fish for and Im looking forward to learning a bit from your posts.
Welcome and your in the right place for info and opinions.. Stay safe..
Gary

Flyfussin

Thanks very much JoeOh,

Sorry to hear you missed out this year, hopefully you will get over when this 'pandemic' passes over! Strange times. :(

Im in the mid west, Clare, Limerick area. I used to do a lot of pike on the fly with biggest being around 17lb but thats years ago. Some monsters out there but never could meet them on the fly, unfortunately.

Was hoping to get a chance at Salmon before season is over, but doesnt look like it. :(

Flyfussin

Especially opinions; we all have at least one..
Welcome Flyfussin, looking forward to reports from your part of the world.
All the best,
Del

Thank you Delray, looking forward to trading reports with you too. :)

lol on the opinions, never a truer word said! :)

JoeOh

Thanks for your response Flyfussin. Hopefully get over next year as I have relatives in the far West that I want to see, and fish that I want to meet, or should that be the other way round!
I am not familiar with the fishing around your way but as I posted earlier, Ballycuirke Lough near Moycullen has some seriously large pike and if I could tempt them on surface plugs, then a suitable fly should give the same result. If you are in the area, the Corrib River from it's outflow has produced pike to over 20lb but access and local knowledge is required. More to the East, I was severely admonished for releasing a 17lb pike caught on a pheasant tail at Ardfinnan on The Suir.
Have you considered a journey West after Pollack etc on the fly (chance of Sea Trout also).
Leave some fish for me...