High summer lure fishing

Pritts Apprentice

This coming season as a variation to my standard approach to river fishing in hot summer weather, which normally amounts to early morning and late evening dry fly sessions, I have been pondering the idea of fishing some big lures, deep in the middle of the day. I have observed in previous years, at certain points on the river some of the bigger specimens laying in deep water, often rock filled with large boulders. I don't know if these fish are willing to chase a big fly or even feed, guess that depends a lot on the day and an individuals fish's temperament.

My method, should I even decide to practice it. Is to use a heavier 6 weight rod and matching line, thoughts are to use either a floater and fast sinking leader or a DT sinking line. I'll use some large, heavy weight flies to get on the bottom quickly, possibly some zonker/ minkies tied in gold or silver. Thinking of sink and draw or just a straight stripping of these flies. This fishing will be done on the higher reaches of UK northern spate rivers.

Anyway if anyone has practiced something similar or got any experience in summer river lure fishing it would be good to hear your views?

Wee Jimmy

Check out Kelly Galloup/Streamer fishing on YouTube....:thumbs:

T

troutbum67

Here we go a nice video , don't over look pocket water , lots of trout will move into fast shallow well oxygenated water around Summer time . [ame]https://youtu.be/SLU3j8tXgcA[/ame]

canefly

Some good lines for this style are:-
Rio Streamertip
Rio Outbound Short fast sink
For floaters:-
Orvis Hydros HD powertaper
Orvis Hydros Nymph
Airflo do a streamer line as well :)

theyounggun

Galloup is the Grandfather of modern day streamer fishing so worth checking him out. He has a couple of lines with airflo made for chucking 'junk/meat' as the yanks say. Both lines are excellent, I use his streamer max long with the head cut to 20ft for lightweight streamers and his floater for heavy weighted stuff.

George Daniels book Strip Set is excellent and there is a load of stuff on YouTube about flies, approach and technique.

I find streamer fishing is either a big hit or a big miss. After a spate is when I usually break out the 6wt but I have been know to take it out at other times to mix things up a bit.

Streamer fishing is in my opinion trophy hunting and it usually sorts out the big. Browns from the little ones. Saying that you might get days where you nail sub 10" fish and nothing bigger, the next you'll hit nothing all day and just as you're starting to lose faith lock into a slab! It's bloody exciting but you may get looked upon as scum!

:thumbs:

JayP

Here's another good vid to give you some ideas :thumbs:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71cWoLe7syU&t=1363s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71cWoLe7syU&t=1363s[/ame]

rockslider

Probably the best bit of advice i can give if you are fishing in the daytime with streamers is good luck! At night or early morning however is a different kettle of fish. They are great in the daytime with a bit of colour in the water but in clear summer waters not great IMHO. I do use them!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

heathenwoods

I missed this thread yesterday but funnily enough I was chatting with my wife's best friend's dad today about this. He's had to give up fly fishing due to heart problems but we had a good blether nonetheless. He was telling me to give damsel nymphs, about size 10/12 a go in slower, deep pools on the river from April/May through the Summer and fished slowly towards the bank had always been his first choice for bigger brownies. Not strictly lures but that marabou tail does put them in a grey zone in my mind.

theyounggun

Size 10/12, that's a bloody wet fly! :whistle:

Get some size 1/0-2/0 drunk and disorderly or butt monkeys on. Separate the 2lb fish from the 6lb ones. :D

Liam

theyounggun

Still a bit small mate!:D

Anything less than a size 6 I like to think of as a wet fly....... I have no shame!

:thumbs:
Liam (Likes to go big or go home - not in that way though guys. :whistle:)

Last edited:

oldgold

I fish some bead head size 8 longshank bucktail and a little bit of flash streamers on the little stream I fish. It has some pools to five foot deep, but is mainly skinnier water. I have found the streamers best in the deep pots and against structure. Try retreived and swung with the current. I end up with a better stamp of fish than normal on streamers with the added bonus of the odd psycho chub!

Pritts Apprentice

Tied a dozen streamers today, a mix of Minnie's and Zonkers, with a lot of balast onboard. Biggest hook size I had were 8s but now have some 6s on order. These flies will be in action from the start of the season, so whether it's a big river or down on its bleached bones, I am going to pursue em on the lure and see what happens :)

tobesfish

I used streamers (simple zonker strip with a gold cone head) for perch in the second half of last summer with great effect. after seeing the number of trout chasing them (where I didn't know trout lived) I tried them deliberately for the trout. You probably won't try for that long because it becomes so easy!!

I found that a white streamer through a deep pool would result in a fish 80% of the time probably. I never used to believe people about finding things "too easy" thinking that catching a fish is always fun but, honestly, without seeing the fish that will eventually and inevitably take your fly, there was really no challenge.

Streamers work...too well! And that's not me being a purist or anything like that!

pedros

I had a session on the Tees with this guy season before last using the most simple of streamer patterns. Streamer fishing.

Essentially a tungsten fish head with a single cock/hen hackle. Amazingly effective...

eddleston123

Having never fished anything bigger than a size 10, how does the sizing go after that. I don't understand the2/0 and 6/0 bit. Just how big are they.

If I am streamer fishing, which I may do this season if the stream is high, could you fish a pike fly- or is that too big.

Also does anyone know a fly company that actually sells streamers?

I have in the past fished lures ie, Black Tadpole, Wooley B###er, stripped through pools when the river was a bit high, but they were no bigger than a size 10.

Douglas