hitch lock

whitehorses

although my boat and trailer are chained up ,a friend pointed out that i should get a tow hitch lock
also,i was just wondering does any here have any recommendations ?
i was thinking along the lines of these
over lock.jpg
over lock insert.jpg
but am open to more suggestions

webblade

although my boat and trailer are chained up ,a friend pointed out that i should get a tow hitch lock
i was thinking along the lines of these View attachment 44274View attachment 44275 but am open to more suggestions
I would imagine the bottom one being much more secure as the bar on the top one can be cut.

bluezulu49

i was thinking along the lines of these View attachment 44274View attachment 44275 but am open to more suggestions
I had one of the upper ones and found that the lock tended to rust up and seize. My son also had one for his Ifor Williams trailer and he got rid of it for similar reasons. He then tried this box type lock ( red) but found it was very fiddly and difficult to instal. He finally got one of this type (yellow one). It covers the end of the hitch and can be locked on the trailer while hitched to the car. It's not cheap but it works well.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-09 at 13.58.06.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-10-09 at 13.58.06.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot 2021-10-09 at 13.58.24.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-10-09 at 13.58.24.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 18

whitehorses

whitehorses

I had one of the upper ones and found that the lock tended to rust up and seize. My son also had one for his Ifor Williams trailer and he got rid of it for similar reasons. He then tried this box type lock ( red) but found it was very fiddly and difficult to instal. He finally got one of this type (yellow one). It covers the end of the hitch and can be locked on the trailer while hitched to the car. It's not cheap but it works well.
how much for these yellow ones ? where did he get it ?

bluezulu49

how much for these yellow ones ? where did he get it ?
He got it from the UK before Brexit. Charles Camping in Blessington, Co. Wicklow have it advertised at €119.95. Looks like they will deliver to Ireland for €5.00. This is good value as it is £111.47 in UK + delivery.
It would be a good idea to ring them before purchasing to make sure it will fit your trailer.

whitehorses

He got it from the UK before Brexit. Charles Camping in Blessington, Co. Wicklow have it advertised at €119.95. Looks like they will deliver to Ireland for €5.00. This is good value as it is £111.47 in UK + delivery.
It would be a good idea to ring them before purchasing to make sure it will fit your trailer.
thanks, ill have a proper look tomorrow ,

arkle

"Back in the day" like early naughties, I worked for a trailer firm, that were supplied by most of the above & others. The ONLY product we really rated, was the Indespension "Triplelock". However even this had it's weakness for "A" framed trailers. Namely that it could be by-passed, with various bits of ironmongry, namely angle-iron (Dexion) & u bolts. As was proven on one occasion by members of the "travelling" community. Basically, "If it can be made, it can be un-made"

goldenolive

I've used the Bradley hitch lock for years, especially when I'm out on the lough and my trailer is still in the carpark hooked up to my van.

Also, whenever I can I like to reverse right up to a wall or tree that leaves no room for the trailer to be moved.

1633875938105.png

As some other members have said here the thieves have jigs to steal most trailers, one I was told about is a metal sandwich type jig with 4 wing nuts that just goes over your locked trailer hitch and grips it enough for them to make their getaway.

The triangular wheel clamp type is a very good deterrent ive seen used.

4wings

I watched a caravan technician remove locks (the owner was present) it took no time at all! I spoke to him after and he said only "sold secure gold" locks buys enough time, if there is an alarm fitted.
Hitch locks are overcome by using a chain to tow the trailer to a quiet place where a grinder can be used to cut it off.

arkle

If they can't get the lock off the ball, then it's simply a matter of, in most cases, un-bolting the ball from the car with the loch still attached to the trailer. Swan-neck tow bars were about 3 or 4x the price (before fitting) than a standard Witter 2 bolt fixing type. Even welding the bolts up, was simply an angle-grinder job (okay, it's noisy !) to remove them.

Latest posts