Hiya from Lincoln.

stevek60

I'm looking to get back into fly fishing, having not fished in over 20 years. In those days, Toft Newton was my bread and butter fishery, but would visit many other small fisheries throughout Lincolnshire and the East Midlands (including the occaisional pilgrimage to Rutland Water). I don't recall why I stopped, but round about that time, a lot of small stillwaters closed or turned to coarse fishing (possibly due to long hot summers meaning that feeder streams dried up or the water became less oxygenated).
Why getting back into it? My interest was sparked after having a good natter to Charles Jardine, inbetween him giving cookery demonstrations at a game fair a couple of years back and holiday visits to Cornwall. For the last three years we have stayed in a cottage near Callington that has fishing rights on the River Lynher and this year I bought an small 4 weight outfit from the Glasgow Angling Centre, a few flies else where and ended up over a couple of days, catching four beautiful little brownies.
I've now blown the dust of my old rods and reels, need to buy fresh lines, leaders and tippets and some more flies and return to Toft Newton either later on this year or early next. Also looking at spreading my wings in Cornwall next year by making use of the West Country Fishing Passport.
Best wishes, Steve

Last edited:

Rob Edmunds

Welcome back......Try and enjoy the journey and learning about the trout, its environment, feeding etc....rather than adopting the simple "this method will always work"

I find it much more enjoyable/rewarding to tie a fly for a particular situation or develop a method to solve a particular problem.

Anyway, just enjoy 👍

Rhithrogena

Hello,
I live very close to Callington - and fish the Lynher. I am also from Lincoln originally.
Welcome aboard!
Rich

b13rux

I'm looking to get back into fly fishing, having not fished in over 20 years. In those days, Toft Newton was my bread and butter fishery, but would visit many other small fisheries throughout Lincolnshire and the East Midlands (including the occaisional pilgrimage to Rutland Water). I don't recall why I stopped, but round about that time, a lot of small stillwaters closed or turned to coarse fishing (possibly due to long hot summers meaning that feeder streams dried up or the water became less oxygenated).
Why getting back into it? My interest was sparked after having a good natter to Charles Jardine, inbetween him giving cookery demonstrations at a game fair a couple of years back and holiday visits to Cornwall. For the last three years we have stayed in a cottage near Callington that has fishing rights on the River Lynher and this year I bought an small 4 weight outfit from the Glasgow Angling Centre, a few flies else where and ended up over a couple of days, catching four beautiful little brownies.
I've now blown the dust of my old rods and reels, need to buy fresh lines, leaders and tippets and some more flies and return to Toft Newton either later on this year or early next. Also looking at spreading my wings in Cornwall next year by making use of the West Country Fishing Passport.
Best wishes, Steve

I live in Lincoln, there is good river fishing in the county if you know where to look! I grew up fishing Thorpe le vale and Bullington (closed now), but fish almost exclusively river fish now, although every now and then i venture to Withern mill and would recommend it.

Strangely enough I've never fished Toft, although planned to several times.

jaybeegee

Welcome Stevek60. Like you I had a twenty year spell with virtually no fishing, you’ll find the ring rust soon wears off. Tight lines.
B

stevek60

Hello,
I live very close to Callington - and fish the Lynher. I am also from Lincoln originally.
Welcome aboard!
Rich
Hello Rich,
For the last three years, we've stayed in a cottage near Golberdon and the cottage owners have the right bank fishing rights on the Lynher above Kerney Bridge (the opposite bank to Berrio Mill). The first two years we stayed at the cottage, I kept telling my other half, I'd love to fish the river, so this year I treated myself to a light 4 weight outfit and despite losing a few flies in trees, caught 4 small brownies on dries and absolutely loved it. So much so, it's sparked my interst in still waters as well.
We love it down there in Cornwall and have booked 2 weeks next year at the end of September/start of October. This is so that I can get the last week of the trout season and the missus wants to go to the Honey Fair in Callington. Would like to do Siblyback and a few rivers in the Launceston area.
Best wishes,
Steve

Rhithrogena

Hello Rich,
For the last three years, we've stayed in a cottage near Golberdon and the cottage owners have the right bank fishing rights on the Lynher above Kerney Bridge (the opposite bank to Berrio Mill). The first two years we stayed at the cottage, I kept telling my other half, I'd love to fish the river, so this year I treated myself to a light 4 weight outfit and despite losing a few flies in trees, caught 4 small brownies on dries and absolutely loved it. So much so, it's sparked my interst in still waters as well.
We love it down there in Cornwall and have booked 2 weeks next year at the end of September/start of October. This is so that I can get the last week of the trout season and the missus wants to go to the Honey Fair in Callington. Would like to do Siblyback and a few rivers in the Launceston area.
Best wishes,
Steve
I know where you mean, Steve.
I also strongly recommend Colliford for a great day's fishing.
Rich

stevek60

I live in Lincoln, there is good river fishing in the county if you know where to look! I grew up fishing Thorpe le vale and Bullington (closed now), but fish almost exclusively river fish now, although every now and then i venture to Withern mill and would recommend it.

Strangely enough I've never fished Toft, although planned to several times.
Hiya,
I cut my teeth at Toft and at Hatton Trout Fisheries. Never fished Bullington, which is ironic because I used to pass it on the way to Hatton! Fished Thorpe le Vale a couple of times and my pb was from there - a 9 1/2 pound rainbow. I also used to fish Cleatham, Syston Park near Grantham, Red House Farm near North Scarle and White House Farm near Caythorpe. Most of those I should imagine aren't there any more or given over to coarse fishing. I've looked at doing Withern Mill next year and I know that there is some river fishing for brownies in the county, but a lot of it I seem to think is either syndicated or club waters with a dead mans shoes policy. I live down Brant Road and a stones throw from the Witham and had a thought of fly fishing for coarse fish. It was a thought!
Best wishes,
Steve