Holbury Lakes, Hampshire

JohnH

Fished there myself on Saturday 25 April.

Like Wassat Noyze I had the fishery to myself early in the day, although from the returns book plenty of local "regulars" had been fishing and catching during the week. I had 4 nice rainbows to 2-10 from Long Lake, all on a blue flash damsel, 2 on a slow nymph retrieve and 2 on a fast roly-poly. Interestingly, I spooned the fish and 2 contained natural food, but when I tried to match the hatch with a superglue buzzer in the right colour, then a dry fly, I couldn't buy a take. Then a quick river session, as much as anything to give some new chalkstream kit a shakedown. In the lower section of the river beat, there was plenty of interest from the resident browns in a cream czech nymph, and I caught and released a nice brown that will make 2lb when he's eaten a few mayfly nymphs next month.

I'll have a couple more river and lake days in the second half of the summer.

rudolf hukka

Banned
Banned
Gave it the benefit of the doubt, & tried it today for a 2 fish ticket in the morning - mistake........
The largest fish of the 2 was 2.5lb's. The smallest was just over 2 lb.
I had the place to myself until I left at 10:30, I wonder why???
Total rip off!!!

taterdu

Gave it the benefit of the doubt, & tried it today for a 2 fish ticket in the morning - mistake........
The largest fish of the 2 was 2.5lb's. The smallest was just over 2 lb.
I had the place to myself until I left at 10:30, I wonder why???
Total rip off!!!

So . . . let me get this right.

You bought a two fish ticket . . . and caught two fish . . . and you were ripped off?

How does that 'work'?

taterdu

. Nor will I bother replying to your inane comments!!

inane
ɪˈneɪn/Submit
adjective
lacking sense or meaning; silly.
"don't badger people with inane questions"
synonyms: silly, foolish, stupid, fatuous, idiotic, absurd, ridiculous, ludicrous, laughable, risible, imbecilic, moronic, cretinous, unintelligent, witless, asinine, pointless, senseless, frivolous, nonsensical, brainless, mindless, thoughtless, vacuous, vapid, empty-headed; More

You'd been there before, didn't like it, thought it wasn't value for money and yet you went again?

You suggest my comments are 'inane'?

rudolf hukka

Banned
Banned
inane
ɪˈneɪn/Submit
adjective
lacking sense or meaning; silly.
"don't badger people with inane questions"
synonyms: silly, foolish, stupid, fatuous, idiotic, absurd, ridiculous, ludicrous, laughable, risible, imbecilic, moronic, cretinous, unintelligent, witless, asinine, pointless, senseless, frivolous, nonsensical, brainless, mindless, thoughtless, vacuous, vapid, empty-headed; More

You'd been there before, didn't like it, thought it wasn't value for money and yet you went again?

You suggest my comments are 'inane'?

Firstly, I've NEVER said I didn't like Holbury Lane Lakes, the fishery is very picturesque with 4 lakes of varying sizes and depths that are generally gin clear. It's the pricing & stocking policy I don't like......
I and a group of friends have fished Holbury Lane Lakes for many years.
Back in the day when it was a Troutmasters water it was competitively priced and stocked with fish from 2-1/2lb’s up into double figures, the fishing then could be fantastic. The fishery manager at that time decided to move on to bigger and better things and that’s when the fishery went into a steady decline, prices rose out of context with other local fishery prices and fish sizes diminished. This wasn’t just my opinion, but the view of most of the regulars that I spoke with.
About 4 years ago I decided that I would vote with my feet, and fished elsewhere, then about 18 months ago Holbury had a new manager appointed and earlier this year I heard that the place had improved and was back to its best.
Last Friday I decided to give it THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT and see if things had improved there. Alas, in my opinion they haven’t and I shall not be returning.
For some reason you seem to be unable, or unwilling to accept this and I’ve also given you THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBTup until now.
In both cases this has been a mistake and Holbury Lane Lakes is off my list of fishing venues and you are now on my “ignore” list.
Post what you will on this topic now, Paul, but you’ll be wasting your time……….

Last edited:

steve collyer

Although cheap day tickets are pretty much impossible in Hampshire, is this fishery not a clear water stalking venue?
Did you just chuck it & chance it, or did you patiently target individual fish? I mean, value for money is actually pretty good if you pay £33 for 2 fish & take home 10-15lb of trout.
It's a different matter entirely if you spend most of the morning looking & only see 2-3lb fish cruising around. If they are charging that amount & putting very few (if any) fish in the 7-10lb+ range in, then I should think this place won't last very long at all.

rudolf hukka

Banned
Banned
Yes Steve, I've enjoyed sight fishing at Holbury many times, & don't "chuck and chance"
The fish I saw last Friday were all in the 2lb to 2-1/2lb's class.........

Last edited:

mike j thomas

I fished Holbury for the first time today, it really is a lovely spot! George the manager is a nice guy and very helpful.
The top 3 lakes were all clear, with a little Algae on top and the bottom lake was a bit cloudy but algae free! I hooked a nice Rainbow in the Island Lake but lost it pretty quickly, then moved down to the Bottom Lake and managed 4 fish on various large lures, lots of bling and movement was the requirement today! One of the fish was my first ever Blue, so well pleased with that and the fish ranged from 2lb 4oz to 4lb 6oz and I saw plenty of bigger fish in the lakes.
All in all a great day out.
All the best
Mike

Latest posts