Hollow braid

Angus McLeod

I use the old Airflo 20b braided mono backing to make up leader butts. I bought several spools when they discontinued it some years ago, but I am now running out. Airflo's current stuff is much thicker than the original (too thick for my purpose) so I am looking for a THIN hollow braid.
Can anyone help?
Cheers,
Angus

leeren666

I have a similar problem, but mine is that I find the airflo 20 lb too thin for my purposes, want something a bit thicker/stiffer ? Anyone help ?

empty creel

Hi Angus,
I have various hollow braids in PE, Nylon and Dacron which might suit you.
I used to make spliced loops while constucting wind-on leaders for big game applications and have a huge selection of hollows from 20lb up to 1200lb BS.

Qs;
Im presuming you wish to produce loops then fit the leader material into the twin walled/doubled end?
What is the maximum diameter of your leader material?
Do you want to glue the leader into the splice/have the splice grip it without glue/whipping or use shrink tube/whipping?

I can send you some samples and when you have decided the best for you I can give you info where to buy it in bulk lengths, just be aware that 100m is the minimum spool size.

EC

blox119

I've just bought some from Sportfish their own brand flouro yellow, for making nymphing indicators.

Angus McLeod

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I haven't found anything suitable yet, and to be honest I had a given up looking. I used the original Airflo stuff to make braided butts of around two and a half to three feet in length, looped at either end.

By twisting a doubled length, held straight, and then hanging a weight in the middle and bringing the two ends together slowly, the braid twists up on itself. This happens more tightly nearer to the weight and gradually lessens down its length, thus giving you a denser butt end, gradually tapering in density down its length.

This serves two purposes. 1: It allows a more gradual transfer of power from line to leader. 2: It serves as a shock absorber, reducing the likelihood of smash takes when pulling.

To make up the piece, I divide the original length into three, and double over and twist only the top two thirds (first threading the shorter end into and then almost immediately out of, the longer piece to form the top loop, which must then be fixed with a spot of super glue or similar) leaving the bottom third to continue on down to the mono. The bottom ( free) end of the twisted section is fed into this single strand with a needle to anchor it.

EC, I still have a bit of the original left. I couldn't even guess at the diameter in terms of measurement, but it is rather less than the thickness of the core of my five-weight fly line, so I guess it will be roughly the same as your 20lb stuff.

If you can give me a contact for that, I'd be grateful.
Cheers,
Angus

Last edited:

empty creel

Angus

PE is Spectra or 'braid' as in Power Pro, as such it is non stretch.
Dacron has a 6% stretch ratio which is almost as bad as PE for your application.
Nylon stretches around 20% so would be suitable but it doesnt come in such small diameters as a #5 fly line core (or not those cores Ive exposed).

From your original post I thought you were using the braid to splice a loop and attaching it to the thick end of a nylon/poly leader. :eek:mg:

Sorry but I cannot help you.

geenomad

Hi Angus
When Gudebrod went west there was quite a scramble to find something else to make braided loops from. For that I have not yet found a substitute but after extensive research I have two brands, one obvious and one more obscure. ie Cortland and Talon. When I get desperate I will have to experiment and/or try to get samples.

I have a lot of 20lb Gudebrod which I will happily swap for some 50lb btw. Used to make running lines for SW shooting heads by inching 50lb dyneema braid inside the nylon braid. Noisy but shoots like the proverbial off a shovel.

When you say the Airflo was "thin", do you have an OD or approximation of same. I'll happily run the vernier over the Gudebrod for you.

Cheers
Mark

jeffhirst

Good monofilament braid is like rocking horse sh1te. I have not tried this but maybe this is what you are looking for
Braided Nylon Mono flyline Backing British Made | eBay
Also Ron Thompson Energiser fly line backing is good stuff if you can get it...very similar to Gudebrod. I deeply miss Shakespeare 5000 the best braid ever!
I do hear that Northern Lines(Canadian company) are still making the stuff and they have an outlet here in the UK.

geenomad

I have a lot of 20lb Gudebrod which I will happily swap for some 50lb btw.

Correction. Sorry Angus just went and checked. I have 25lb Gudebrod not 20lb and it would be thicker than the core of most fly lines.

Still interested in 50lb Gudebrod though for anyone who wants to sell or trade some. :thumbs:

Cheers
Mark

Angus McLeod

Thanks again to all who tried to help. I've just found a spool of the old stuff in the back of one of the drawers of my materials chest, so I am sorted for a while now.
Cheers,
Angus