Honey Bees....8/3/21.

Cap'n Fishy

Don't think I have seen any bees or butterflies this year yet, but it's a barmy 11.6 C in the shade here just now, and a nice sunny afternoon, so I will keep 'em peeled when I go oot for a walk, presently! (y)

Cap'n Fishy

I’ve been seeing the big bumble bees for about a week or so.

The main problem I have is that there's really nothing in flower here yet, apart from snowdrops and crocuses. The dwarf dafs are just about there now...

Col

spudgun

Trees are often forgotten about when it comes to bees and pollination. Remember hearing a huge buzzing sound whilst in a wood, realised it was honey bees fausonds on em, all in the top of a coppiced willow on the catkins. Anyway just a thought.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Cap'n Fishy

Trees are often forgotten about when it comes to bees and pollination. Remember hearing a huge buzzing sound whilst in a wood, realised it was honey bees fausonds on em, all in the top of a coppiced willow on the catkins. Anyway just a thought.

Well, there are a couple of Andy Viburnums in flower and I checked them out this afternoon. No sign of any insects. More dafs out than I realised, but again, never saw any insects on them.

spudgun

I've lost track of time a bit at the moment, I'm laid up in hospital with a gallbladder infection but last week the Yew tree in the church yard had a cloud of pollen coming off it. I see it each year and it still amazes me, brings tears to my eyes and a sting to my nose.

spudgun

Forgot to say, one of the biggest predators of honey bees in my area are woodpeckers. You can often see hives with a metal plate on the entrance with the slot cut into it, this works as a repair from damage and to prevent further intrusions into the hive.

loxie

We have hives here, not mine, and the bees made a bit of a foray a couple of weeks ago. The survivors are very much back in the hives again!!

scobo

Seen a few bees recently and we had a butterfly in the house the other day.
Gone really cold again but our buddleia is usually covered in butterflies in the warmer weather.

Scotty Mitchell

Saw my first Honey Bee on the Earn on Saturday. First Wasp at work on Thursday.
They won’t be happy today though, it’s Baltic, blowing a Gale and pissin down snow just now!

Scotty Mitchell

Not bees Scott, but there is an odd Adder moving about ,
I spent years in the Army, on every training area of the British Army and more, and have spent an extensive amount of time walking and fishing in known Adder territory, and I have NEVER seen one!.
I’ve seen Grass Snakes and Slow Worms, plenty Sand Lizards, but no Adders.
I’d like to see one.

sage5

I spent years in the Army, on every training area of the British Army and more, and have spent an extensive amount of time walking and fishing in known Adder territory, and I have NEVER seen one!.
I’ve seen Grass Snakes and Slow Worms, plenty Sand Lizards, but no Adders.
I’d like to see one.
Scott, there are plenty of them in this area, but you could spend days looking for them and not see any, I have been fishing a local club loch for the last 20 years never seen one, yet my mate sees them often
Regards Duncan

Wee Jimmy

I’ve seen adders at the Watch near Duns and almost put my hand on one whilst climbing up a steep bank down at St Mary’s Loch.Thats it though,never came across them anywhere else.

Latest posts