Hook hold potential

pedros

I've long been an advocate of a better hook hold potential with small hooks, so where would you put your trust given the following medium gauge wire straight shank, akin to say Kamasan B170? Lets assume stillwater bows are the quarry...

Size 14
Size 16
Size 18

Experience/rationale behind your views please

taterdu

As long as the rest of the tackle, rod, line, leader etc is 'in balance' there should be no effective difference, particularly if you're fishing an 'open', snag free, stillwater.

pan

Given the right tackle to match up with the hook size, I would be (and am) happy to fish with any of these hooks. What you can't do is expect to fish with heavy reservoir gear and small hooks and not expect to have the hook straighten occasionally. Match your tackle to the size of fly you wish to use and all should be well. If you want to use heavier tackle, then step up the gauge of hook - A B175 or B110 is my choice when fishing nymphs on a 7 weight and I'm happy going down to a 16.

pedros

Ok, with a 5 weight setup and 5x or 6x tippet i've had more straightened hooks with a size 12 and 14 than 16, 18 or even 20's.
My rationale:
16 or smaller appear to ALWAYS embed to the bend thus minimising leverage on the hook. With a 14 or bigger a lightly hooked fish exerts more force on the bend of the hook, thus increasing the flex which gives us that opening of the gape and lost fish.
Had one of those days yesterday getting big rod wrenching hits to buzzers, where I lost 4 fish to 14's due to gape flex and none to 16 or 18's. I just feel its one of those counter intuitive points we get in fishing, trust the power of those small sizes...

taterdu

There is something in what you say. I quite often fish flies, even on reservoirs, that many would consider to be on the small side of small, sizes 18 and below and with corresponding tippet down to 7X.

A characteristic of small hooks is that 'once they're in, they're in'. I have had many instances where a small hook has required artery forceps to remove it. Larger hooks do have the habit of creating a 'hole'.

Latest posts