Hook removers

original cormorant

Forceps, or haemostats in updated language. Also for crushing barbs and tightening tag ends of knots and with a combined scissor version cutting tippet. And if you're really lucky a pair with a hook eye cleaning spike too.

speytime

The best one I've got I've only ever seen once, cost £1 🙄
Looking at the photo this one appears to be the same design.
That V shape you see is where the hook point hides so you don't re hook the fish.
This type would be my 2nd choice, again they hide the hook point and are very sturdy.
I've spent up to £20 on unhooking tools and none come close to the above.
Edit..
I forgot to add they both work with gold heads, the 1st type will take a size 10 gold head lure, the 2nd type will take a gold head but not as long a hook.

haggstock

I only fish with Barbless hooks and looking at Ketchum hook removers

I stand to be corrected but I believed the Ketchum release tool is intended to flip the hook from the fish’s mouth while it’s still in the water . That way it’s never handled . It’s not a disgorger I think the end of a Ketchum would be very unpleasant for a deep hooked fish . I’ve got an Orvis branded one , but I much prefer to net the fish and use my fingers or forceps ,

Jeltz

Of all the gadgets I have tried over the years for coarse, sea and game, I find forceps to be the best for unhooking trout.
With a disgorger, you need 3 hands to unhook a fish, 1 to hold the fish, 1 to tension the line and 1 to hold the disgorger, and they really only work well with bare hooks, so you can see the problem.
To free up a hand, you have to either lay the fish down or hold it in a net between your knees to have both hands free when using a disgorger.
With forceps, you only need to grip the fly, no line tension needed to unhook it.

original cormorant

I stand to be corrected but I believed the Ketchum release tool is intended to flip the hook from the fish’s mouth while it’s still in the water . That way it’s never handled . It’s not a disgorger I think the end of a Ketchum would be very unpleasant for a deep hooked fish . I’ve got an Orvis branded one , but I much prefer to net the fish and use my fingers or forceps ,
You might be young and flexible enough to bend down to unhook a fish in the water, but not me!
It's always going to be unpleasant for a deep hooked fish and quicker and easier if your forceps are long enough, I only used the ketchum if they weren't. Forceps are best and multi-purpose

Latest posts