Hook shape for Buzzers?

bgooch

I recognize it is a personal preference, but I'm curious to hear your preferences for hooks for buzzers. I read some prefer curved hooks and others prefer straight shank hooks.

Some say that straight shank buzzers provide better hook-ups when there is any pulling movement on the fly, whereas curved shank buzzers get better hook-ups when fished under a bung.

Other than what I just said above, any reason(s) not to use barbless Fulling Mill 35085 Nymph Hooks for buzzer patterns? I have a bunch of them!!

Thanks.

Cheers,
Bryan

LukeNZ

You can tie all shapes of buzzer on the same hook, depending how far you tie around the bend, or, if at all you around the bend.
It all depends on which position of a chironomids movement range you wish to represent, or imitate?

Size, profile, and colour might be more important.

Also, fished on the surface, slightly below the film, or rising.

In my experience - sun in, or out of the clouds makes a huge difference to success or failure with buzzers. The light changes and all of a sudden the fish hit them.

philm

I think they look better on curved hooks but fish better on straight hooks. As you say just a personal opinion, I have a friend who believes that he gets more takes curved. The Fulling Mill 35085 looks a little too long in the shank for buzzers to me.

BobP

I tie on both and catch just as many fish on either hook. They definitely look better on curved hooks, but I doubt the trout care in the slightest as they see naturals in both shapes in the water. Incidentally, I don't "pull" buzzers as that is not natural behaviour. I'll fish them heavy and deep under an indicator early season, and move up through the water with lighter flies as the fish feed higher later in the season. The key is fishing slowly.

Scotty Mitchell

When I see pupae in the water, I think they spend more time straight than curved, so I tie all mine on straight hooks. B170 and B175s.
Probably doesn’t matter but I like to think I am giving myself the best chance.

bgooch

And yes, the FM 35085 is 2x Long. Up in British Columbia, where fishing under an Indicator is standard practice, for many of the Stillwater folks 2x and 3x are the "standard" buzzer hooks. And, of course, they can only fish one fly.

Cheers,

Bryan

wobbly face

Fishing subsurface then curved hooks, fishing just in the film or slightly below then straight.
Saying that, subsurface under a bung straight kooks can work if the hooks hangs bend down and same again for shuttlecock buzzers provided the shuttlecock is well over the eye. Curved hooks also work well for shuttlecock buzzers. Shipmans then straight every time.

taffy1

Fishing subsurface then curved hooks, fishing just in the film or slightly below then straight.
Saying that, subsurface under a bung straight kooks can work if the hooks hangs bend down and same again for shuttlecock buzzers provided the shuttlecock is well over the eye. Curved hooks also work well for shuttlecock buzzers. Shipmans then straight every time.
^^^^
+1. A Shipmans wouldn't look right.