Hook shape

11foot5

I’ve just started tying a few nymphs on hooks that have the hook point curving up towards the shank if you see what I mean. I’ve had the hooks for quite a while and thought I’d get round to using them. I can’t help thinking though that they won’t be effective hookers??!! You can drag the flies across your hand with little risk of getting “jagged” ? I sincerely hope my instincts are wrong. What’s your experiences with this shape of hook point please?

Oldbones

I think the design is supposed to be similar to a circle hook, as the fish turns after taking the hook, it should hook right in the scissors.

11foot5

Thanks Oldbones, I get that OK but have you used them and does the theory work?

sightbob

I’ve just started tying a few nymphs on hooks that have the hook point curving up towards the shank if you see what I mean. I’ve had the hooks for quite a while and thought I’d get round to using them. I can’t help thinking though that they won’t be effective hookers??!! You can drag the flies across your hand with little risk of getting “jagged” ? I sincerely hope my instincts are wrong. What’s your experiences with this shape of hook point please?
[/QUOTE
I personally try to stay away from that shape of hook.
Should hook up fine fished static to let the hook rotate properly.
Not sure if it would be good being pulled. So many hooks about,
I have noticed some barbless hooks going more that way.
John

speytime

I've never used them but I'd have the same concerns as you, being able to pull them across your hands speaks volumes imho.
I hope they work out for you though 🤞

Al

11foot5

Cheers Speytime......I don’t think trout necessarily turn as they take thereby invoking the circle hook theory.....really looking forward to hearing other people’s experiences.

Oldbones

Thanks Oldbones, I get that OK but have you used them and does the theory work?
Cant say that I have done, but not 100% on that, I have used them in course fishing, and I thought they were great, carp guys use them. On YouTube is demos of carp rigs that have hook like that, they show the hook going over the palm of their hand and when it tries to round the edge it hook in.
I have caught plenty of cat fish on them in the past.

PaulD

Many of the 'modern' barbless hooks have a 'lifted' hook point and they are very good fish holders, I wouldn't worry about it.

Look at the hook shape in my avatar, it's a Tiemco 103bl, I love 'em!

wobbly face

As per PaulD's avatar: Upturned, claw/talon, circle (provided they are not too severe a curve) all work fine so don't worry.
I've got and used such pointed hooks in wets, dry, jig. There's nothing more curved than shrimp/grub/buzzer hooks, then there are Klinkhammer hooks though might not be upturned point as such but people catch plenty of fish on them. (y)

sthen

My only concern regarding those hooks is that I find them more difficult to dislodge when I want to release the fish. Hooking is not a problem. Releasing smaller fish is even more difficult. I prefer hooks with mashed down microbarbs due to this.

PaulD

My only concern regarding those hooks is that I find them more difficult to dislodge when I want to release the fish. Hooking is not a problem. Releasing smaller fish is even more difficult. I prefer hooks with mashed down microbarbs due to this.
You find a hook with a crushed barb easier to unhook than a barbless hook?

sthen

You find a hook with a crushed barb easier to unhook than a barbless hook?
Yes, when the 'spear' is parallell to the hookshank, which it often is on barbed hooks, i find it easier than when the hookpoint is turned upwards. (I'm speaking of hooks with microbarbs, not old Mustads or Partridge). Just my experience. I don't like klink type hooks due to this. It takes more time and handling of the fish for me to release them. Also, the barbless hooks sometimes penetrates deeper and cause more damage to the fish - especially smaller fish. Unfortunately, I catch too many small fish.

PaulD

Also, the barbless hooks sometimes penetrates deeper and cause more damage to the fish - especially smaller fish. Unfortunately, I catch too many small fish.
There has been some considerable 'research' done in this and yes, it is possible for barbless hooks to move more and create a larger 'hole' than barbed. However, such issues were more commonly noted with larger, soft mouthed fish such as carp but it was also found that the hole formed by the barbless hook healed better, quicker than that left by the barbed hook due to an absence of tearing.

sthen

There has been some considerable 'research' done in this and yes, it is possible for barbless hooks to move more and create a larger 'hole' than barbed. However, such issues were more commonly noted with larger, soft mouthed fish such as carp but it was also found that the hole formed by the barbless hook healed better, quicker than that left by the barbed hook due to an absence of tearing.
You don't get any tearing with a properly mashed down micro barb. I don't say that barbless hooks should be avoided. I just tell you about why I prefer a mashed down micro barb on a hook and why I don't like barbless hooks with upturned points. These hooks often have longer points too, in order to hold the fish better. These points penetrate deeper and might damage fish more. This is of less concern if you only catch big fish. Personally, I'm not that successful.