Hooks for blobs

paul100

Hi all

I may have asked this before but cant found the post if I have. Looking to tie some blobs but unsure on what hooks and what size ?

Any advise much appreciated

Thanks

Paul

Last edited:

Scotty90

658DA08A-64E3-4AA1-A96C-0BB9EB40E405.jpeg

These are the best I’ve found, use 7mm booby cord for fans though as they are quite a heavy wire

troutnumbered

Try Craig at Hackle and Herl on Facebook, great Barbless Blob hooks at very good prices.

I tie on size 10 personally, with a few size 12 for smaller offerings.

Rob Edmunds

Kamasam B130 in size 8 or 10 for barbed hooks.

Hanak H260bl in size 8 or 10 for barbless.

The above hooks are the best available in my opinion....

Fansa or Doku snap or bend out much too easily for my liking, I wouldn't use them.

Fulling Mill Comp Heavyweight size 10 ( available in barbless or barbed ) is a good easily sourced alternative .......its basically a Kamasan B175 in a different packet.

I can't understand anyone ever buying cheap hooks off Facebook or Ebay or a non recognised brand - you're saving about 8 pence per hook and the quality is often very questionable......get the very best available for the job and you can't go wrong

Last edited:

Scotty90

I agree with the cheap hooks Rob but the fasna blob hooks are really heavy wire that you could tow a boat with, I’ve never even slightly bent one. Haven’t tried the hanak ones though. B130 are my favourite for wets and spiders.

Rob Edmunds

I tried Fansa never ever again, they snapped or bent out as soon as you lent in to a 3lb fish you just can't be brutal with them ....mine ended up in the bin as I wouldn't even give them away.

Hanak are class, but very expensive....but still if it's a big match and it's barbless hooks only I rarely use anything else. They are so sharp its untrue

Scotty90

I’ll give the hanak ones a try, the box of fasna ones I have has been great, hopefully it stays like that and I don’t get them bending out etc.

troutnumbered

Kamasam B130 in size 8 or 10 for barbed hooks.

Hanak H260bl in size 8 or 10 for barbless.

The above hooks are the best available in my opinion....

Fansa or Doku snap or bend out much too easily for my liking, I wouldn't use them.

Fulling Mill Comp Heavyweight size 10 ( available in barbless or barbed ) is a good easily sourced alternative .......its basically a Kamasan B175 in a different packet.

I can't understand anyone ever buying cheap hooks off Facebook or Ebay or a non recognised brand - you're saving about 8 pence per hook and the quality is often very questionable......get the very best available for the job and you can't go wrong
Totally appreciate you point about cheap hooks Rob and I genuinely wouldn't recommend them if they didn't do the job.

I have literally tied 1,000's of blobs on the hackle and herl hooks and they are as reliable as any other blob hook I have used. Kamasan, Fulling Mill, Flybox Spearblob etc. I couldn't comment on Fasna or Hanak as I have never used their Blob hooks but I wouldn't doubt your recommendation.

pentlandflyman

Fasna hooks haven't let me down so far and i know a few others that use them and haven't had any issues...yet!

If you want a solid hook that can double up as an anchor if needed use the Partridge big mouth singles
1626333135002.png

Rob Edmunds

I'm not keen on those Partridge Big mouth singles and Big mouth doubles ( and kamasan 960 for that matter)

As I find you bump to many fish on all of the above

Hooks like anything is down to personal preference ......so as long as you get a good quality product that suits you ...stick with it 👍👍