Hornet

4wings

We were watching the little fish in our pond when a huge insect droned toward us and then landed on the pond weed
it took a drink then lifted off and disappeared back the way it had come. The big yellow face indicated to me it was a Hornet. Developers are building in a couple of areas that were formerly farmland and scrubby woodland and I suspect have pushed them out of their old haunts.
We have seen them occasionally when we checked bat boxes, then it was a case of closing the box quickly and quietly and sliding down the ladder!

easker1

would it be a wood wasp? often mistaken for Hornets, long Ovipositer looks like a sting, it is a Large Ichneumon fly essentially harmless unless you are timber, where it lays its eggs boring into the wood with the Ovipositer , easker1

easker1

Nice pic, the one I mentioned actually belongs to the sawfly species known as the Horn tail,
easker1

easker1

That's the fella Sandy, I was putting Strainers in one day and the Horntails were following me around, god knows the strainers were like when the grubs hatched, easker1

4wings

would it be a wood wasp? often mistaken for Hornets, long Ovipositer looks like a sting, it is a Large Ichneumon fly essentially harmless unless you are timber, where it lays its eggs boring into the wood with the Ovipositer , easker1
Definite a Hornet, I know the Ichneumon flies, it was almost as big as the top joint on my little finger!
The Asian Hornet is over an inch and a quarter long.

Last edited:

easker1

you could be right you would only be certain if you got stung, the wood wasp is considerably bigger than that easker1