Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hot Glue Baetis Nymph

5K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  steve collyer 
#1 · (Edited)
Seems like hotglue-mania possess me. Olive wire and this handsome material are all you need for good, realistic and useful imitation of Dark Olive Nymph. Forget about bobbin, hackle pliers, finisher, dubbing twister...all you need are lighter and scissors.

See less See more
#14 ·
That looks fantastic.

Derek

#18 ·
Just wanted to add to this - if you buy one of the non-stick flexible silicone rubber mats that are sold for hot melt glue work, you can use it to squash molten glue to make films for things like shrimp carapaces. Just put a blob of molten glue onto it, fold it over and press down hard, then peel apart. You can then cut the film as required.

#19 ·
These look fantastic, but what about the legs & antennae being brittle & breaking during casting?
I'd also be concerned at the fact that the glue may give a particularly hard finish to the fly. I've never been convinced that for instance an epoxy midge pupa will fish as well as a fly made from fur & feathers because the softer natural material flies are not rejected so quickly by the fish.
I think sometimes a highly stylistic approach overshadows practical fishing considerations.
What I suppose I'm interested in is how does this method stand up in practice & why, when it looks so good & is fairly straightforward to do, is it not used more widely.

None of this takes away from a superb aesthetic design. :cool:

#20 ·
I'd also be concerned at the fact that the glue may give a particularly hard finish to the fly. I've never been convinced that for instance an epoxy midge pupa will fish as well as a fly made from fur & feathers because the softer natural material flies are not rejected so quickly by the fish.
That might explain why a bead-headed, wire abdomen, epoxy-covered thorax, Copper John (on a rock hard hook) doesn't do so well...:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.