house sparrows

Cap'n Fishy

they probably dont

it was my mistaken guess at what it was..................

was just like the one several posts UP ^^^^...........#12
#12 was a great spotted woodpecker, but you do get a few green woodpeckers in Scotland. Andy (Boorod) has posted some in the nature gallery.

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Dug out the list of species positively identified at our (East Lothian) Portakabin feeders back in the 2000s...

Red Kite
Sparrow hawk
Buzzard

Grey partridge
Pheasant

Woodpigeon

Great spotted woodpecker

Wren
Waxwing
Dunnock
Robin
Song thrush
Blackbird

Great tit
Blue tit
Coal tit
Long-tailed tit

Carrion crow
Magpie

Tree sparrow

Chaffinch
Brambling
Linnet
Redpoll
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Siskin
Bullfinch

Yellowhammer

The red kite was in all likelihood not interested in the feeders, but was just in the area. The sparrowhawk was very much interested in the other visitors to the feeders. Not sure about the buzzard's motives. He was sitting on the fencepost having a good look.

The wrens were never interested in what was in the feeders, either in the trees or on the ground. They were just in the same space - often under the Portakabin. Thrushes also not interested in seeds, fatballs, peanuts, etc To get the thrushes interested, we needed mealworms. We put them in the wire basket type feeders, and the thrushes would learn to fly up and do a clumsy hover while they grabbed one out through the mesh. Pheasants, partridges, dunnocks, yellowhammers and others never went up into the trees, but just Hoovered-up the spoil from the ground underneath.

Col

PS: Note that in the 4 years or so we were there, not one house sparrow or starling!

speytime

There's woodpeckers on the Almond(West Lothian) i can't say what type but I heard them knocking early summer last year.

There are only two things I know of that will get goldfinches on garden feeders: niger seed and sunflower hearts. In some places they are so fussy, they will take one but not the other - so it pays to try both.

Most days I get goldfinches and in my garden they aren't interested in the sun flower seed its the niger seed they want, interesting.
The sun flower seed seems to be a favourite of the coal tits.

Al

boorod

There's woodpeckers on the Almond(West Lothian) i can't say what type but I heard them knocking early summer last year.

Al
Al the ones you hear drumming in the spring are Great Spotted Woodpeckers, have never heard or seen a Green Woodpecker in Almondel, though they are a few just a few miles up the road from there, though pretty difficult to see close up, but very vocal at times.

speytime

Al the ones you hear drumming in the spring are Great Spotted Woodpeckers, have never heard or seen a Green Woodpecker in Almondel, though they are a few just a few miles up the road from there, though pretty difficult to see close up, but very vocal at times.
When I was writing my post I was thinking Andy will probably have a photo of them ��
I'm sure I seen a pair of bullfinches just down from the fall but not 100% sure have you seen any or photographed any bullfinches around that area?
Have you seen the albino otter?

Cheers Al

boorod

When I was writing my post I was thinking Andy will probably have a photo of them ��
I'm sure I seen a pair of bullfinches just down from the fall but not 100% sure have you seen any or photographed any bullfinches around that area?

Cheers Al
Aye there quite a few Bullies around Almondel, a few hang around the start at the Mid Calder carpark, also down towards the visitor centre and the car park at the broxburn side. as for the Albino Otter, haha, wish I had a pound for everyone who asked me that. have been trying for that one all last summer, going at 3.30 in the mornings, also up till last light in the evenings, but still never got a sniff of it, heard it made its way down to camo estate, but I know it was back up in Almondel early Nov, as the guy from the Forth Rivers got it on his phone, hopfully it will re-appear this year again

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers Al
Aye there quite a few Bullies around Almondel, a few hang around the start at the Mid Calder carpark, also down towards the visitor centre and the car park at the broxburn side. as for the Albino Otter, haha, wish I had a pound for everyone who asked me that. have been trying for that one all last summer, going at 3.30 in the mornings, also up till last light in the evenings, but still never got a sniff of it, heard it made its way down to camo estate, but I know it was back up in Almondel early Nov, as the guy from the Forth Rivers got it on his phone, hopfully it will re-appear this year again

speytime

Best of luck photographing it Andy, if it's travelling as far as Camo it could be a difficult task.
I've not seen it myself other than some poor quality photos on Facebook.

Al

easker1

there have been Great Green woodpeckers here in Gairloch also Greater spotted wood peckers, these are more common,easker1

redietz

Yesterday I woke to the racket of a colony of them that descended on the garden, the noise woke me up, never seen so many, has the population returned?
Somewhat of a surprise to learn of the drop in house sparrow populations in their native range. In the US, where they were imported in 19th century, they number in the hundreds of millions, and are one of our most common birds. There are always some at my feeder.

Cap'n Fishy

Interesting 6-point question in the pub quiz last week...

Nane Britain's 6 most common birds, numbering more than 5 million pairs.

After all we were saying about house sparrow numbers being down, I and one of the others in our team wasn't keen to include house sparrow in out list. We were happy with our first 5 answers: wren, robin, blackbird, chaffinch and blue tit. I wanted to go with woodpigeon, but Malcolm was sure it was house sparrow. So, we went with house sparrow... and...

House sparrow was correct, but...

Woodpigeon was also correct.

Blue tit was wrong - only 3.6 million.

So, there you are, despite the drop in numbers, the house sparrow is still one of the 6 most common British birds.

Secret Angler

I see sparrows in localised flocks but certainly not as widespread as they used to be. Very few chaffinches around too now.

original cormorant

House sparrows and starlings suffer from lack of nesting habitat as people protect their roof from invasion - bats suffer too. I used to have a neighbour who had a complete murmeration nesting in their roof.

The tits are now on zoopla checking out nestboxes today.

Latest posts