Fly Fishing Forum banner

House sparrows

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Hardrar 
#1 · (Edited)
According to last years garden watch these are the most common garden bird , so why are they on the endangered list ?

#6 ·
At the minute, we have a very efficient hen sparrow hawk around who is taking advantage of autumnal lack of foliage and knocking off the songbirds for fun. The Mem gets distressed about it all and then puts food out for the foxes..?

#7 ·
Couple of years ago I saw a flash pass the window, by the time I got there I saw a sparrowhawk eject backwards out of a big bushy clematis, it was not an elegant move and it came to a stop at an awkward angle on top of my car looking a bit put out, it had chased a sparrow into a clematis rammed full of sparrows and they sent it packing :)

#8 ·
Just because they are the most commonly sighted garden bird, doesn't mean they are not on the red list. Just goes to show how precarious it is for all garden birds. Apparently the number of sparrows has halved in the last 40 years, with a recent slight increase.

#15 ·
I like the look of those. Sparrows are nesting in a hole in the stone at the back of the house currently, a terrace of nestboxes would be a good idea, the competition for housing's quite fierce.

Dunno about anyone else but we have a squirrel problem here, I fit these now - stops woodpeckers too.
My "Spuggy" terraces have steel plates fitted around the entrance holes and a slate roof too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.