How about that!

BobP

I was taking my dogs out for a run last Sunday afternoon to a local woodland along with the memsahib. As we approached along a single track country lane I saw a fairly large bird wandering along the lane. As I said to the mem, "What the effing hell is that?" She thought guinea fowl, but wrong colour & shape. I stopped the car and the bird just strolled up and walked past on her side. Quite a large bird with long legs and an upright stance.

A bit later on while we were running the dogs I had the glimmer of an idea about what it could be and when we got home I looked it up on the internet and there it was. The bird was a Great Bustard. There was a release programme on Salisbury Plain a few years ago, and it seems that maybe there has been some breeding. I've reported what we saw and the general consensus is that I am correct in my identification. Probably either a female or an immature bird apparently.

What a time to leave the camera at home!

ohanzee

Not very cool to not get a picture, unforgivable that:doh:

beryl

Yer, pic of it leaning against the wheel arch on one wing would go viral. How far are you from Salisbury plain? I don’t follow bird forums but I suspect there must be more sightings?

Ps:could be on the menu soon ;). As it was previously

dartmoor navigator

Fantastic!

WRT birder fora, a couple of years ago I had the good fortune to see a Lammergeier that had strayed onto Dartmoor. The Birders were out in force but most of them missing it, so I flagged it up on one of their forums to give them a steer in the right direction. They were so dismissive, it was rude (because I’m not a bird watcher).... I’m sure they would love to here of you bird though :)

beryl

Fantastic!

WRT birder fora, a couple of years ago I had the good fortune to see a Lammergeier that had strayed onto Dartmoor. The Birders were out in force but most of them missing it, so I flagged it up on one of their forums to give them a steer in the right direction. They were so dismissive, it was rude (because I’m not a bird watcher).... I’m sure they would love to here of you bird though :)
Ive had a casual interest in birds all my life. As I live in Cornwall i did a rarity search one year. It was mainly Porthgarra but i remember turning up at a sighting to find a tiny cottage with small garden surrounded by nearly a hundred birders. i think the occupants were at work but that wouldnt have made any difference. They were like a hunting pack. No thanks. My life list doesn't stretch to that sort of intrusion.

ohanzee

Ive had a casual interest in birds all my life. As I live in Cornwall i did a rarity search one year. It was mainly Porthgarra but i remember turning up at a sighting to find a tiny cottage with small garden surrounded by nearly a hundred birders. i think the occupants were at work but that wouldnt have made any difference. They were like a hunting pack. No thanks. My life list doesn't stretch to that sort of intrusion.
It looks like a bird watching equivalent of stockie bashing..

BobP

Which is exactly why I'm not saying where I saw it. Just somewhere in darkest Wiltshire.

ohanzee

Bob knows what it looks like... but for the rest of us a google image....

Looks like a turkey