How big is yours?

Cap'n Fishy

I was using this tool...

... to check on the size of a couple of waters we were considering for a club outing.

And then I measured a few of the waters I am familiar with and fish regularly - just for comparison. Then I added in some of the ones I used to fish to see how they compared. And I ended up putting in most of them. Then I added some of the ones I have never fished, but have read about and heard about... to see how they compared. The more I added, the more it became interesting to see which ones were bigger or smaller than which others. Some are bigger than I think they are, and some seem smaller - though a lot depends on whether they are roughly circular, or consist of all arms and legs. The circular ones pack in so many more acres than the leggy ones. Finally, I put in a couple of the big Irish loughs, which fairly put things in perspective!

Here is the current list...

(Sorry about the full justification - I can't find any way to narrow the columns???
shrug.001.gif
)

WaterAcres
LochLanlish (Cape Wrath)9
Clubbiedean Res12
Loganlea Res17
Headshaw Loch17
Schoolhouse Loch (S Uist)18
Acreknowe Res20
Coldingham Loch20
Glensherup Res22
Lindean Loch23
North Esk Res24
LochLeir (Forsinard)27
Harlaw Res28
LochBhac29
LochCroispol (Cape Wrath)29
LochDola (Lairg)32
Hopes Res34
Castle Loch (S Uist)35
LochRoag36
Piperdam Loch39
Lower Kildonan40
Glenquey Res41
Toft Newton Res42
LochKinardochy43
LochCherigal44
Mill Loch (S Uist)45
Glencorse Res47
Elinor Fishery47
LochValtos50
Tottiford Res52
LochBharp53
Crosswood Res55
Badingsgill Res57
LochRusky61
LochHosta64
LochCaladail (Cape Wrath)65
LochSkeen66
LochEderline68
LochFada (S Uist)69
LochDionard70
Watchwater Res71
Thornton Res73
LochSletill (Forsinard)81
Pond of Drummond85
Harelaw (Nielston)86
Alemoor Res89
LochBorralie (Cape Wrath)90
Westwater (Pentlands)90
Lindores Loch91
Linlithgow Loch96
Loch of the Lowes (borders)96
Frandy Res98
Ravensthorpe Res99
Portmore Res101
Butterstone Loch105
Cameron Res108
North Third Res111
LochGarten113
Ardleigh Res114
Clatworthy Res115
LochBorrolan116
Monikie Res118
Arliington Res118
Black Loch122
Sweethope Loughs123
Sutton Bingham Res125
Threipmuir Res128
Mishnish Lochs (x3) Mull129
LochCraggie (Lairg)133
Loch ofToftingall140
LochDrunkie141
Gartmorn Dam142
Rescobie Loch145
Malham Trarn148
Ballo Res160
LochFad (Bute)165
LochKnockie175
LochHeilan177
Whiteadder Res184
Camps Res185
St John's Loch202
Lochore Meadows209
Stocks Res212
LochLee220
Harperrig Res221
Foremark Res222
LochAilsh231
Loch ofHundland239
Catcleugh Res248
Cobbinshaw Res249
LochMigdale258
East Bi & Shell Loch268
Fruid Res278
LochInsh298
LochMorlich300
Talla Res301
Wimbleball Res316
Talybont Res321
LochFreuchie339
LochRuthven365
Farmoor I & II366
Blagdon Res368
LochThom376
LochEye389
Eyebrook Res391
Gladhouse Res395
LochMerkland419
LochArianas423
Lintrathen424
Llandegfedd Res424
LochEilt447
Queen Mother Res469
LochUrigill473
Ladybower Res481
LochTrealabhal (Lewis)498
LochBrora (total of 3)520
LochMeadie (Altnaharra)525
LochVeyatie568
Loch ofSwannay570
Loch ofBoardhouse575
Clywedog Res586
Draycote Res592
Roadford Res595
Megget Res601
Lake ofMenteith605
LochStack608
Cam Loch610
St Mary's Loch616
Pitsford Res638
LochGorm (Islay)648
Badanloch673
Bewl Water680
Carsington Res698
Colliford Res735
Blithfield Res743
LochBa (Mull)780
LochNan Clar781
LochRimsdale783
Hanningfield Res819
LochMore (Laxford system)852
Carron Valley Res858
LochVenachar903
LlynBrenig904
LochWatten919
LochBeinn a' Mheadhoin987
Chew Valley Res1032
LochCalder1057
LakeVyrnwy1095
LlynTrawsfynydd1197
LochSionasgaig1350
LochNaver1399
LochTummel1434
LochHope1527
Grafham Res1534
LochLoyal1605
LochGarry1681
LochAssynt1952
LochLangabhat (Lewis)2186
LochEarn2355
Loch ofHarray2400
Kielder Res2441
Blackwater Res2525
Rutland Res2763
LochKatrine3185
LochLeven3361
LochArkaig3890
LochLochy4108
LochRannoch4622
LochShiel4809
LoughMelvin5450
LochTay6404
LochMorar6552
LochMaree6900
LochShin7538
LochAwe9083
LochNess13690
LochLomond17500
LoughMask18413
LoughCorrib42000

I have to come clean and say that I did not attempt to measure Lomond, largely due to the islands. (I looked it up.) I subtracted the area of islands from the water surface areas in my measurements. I did measure Corrib, roughly 😜 , but the islands were way too much and I just made an allowance for them!

It really puts things in perspective when you can add up Lochs Awe, Ness and Lomond and the combined acreage is less than Corrib!

The 4 Cape Wrath lochs make a set (which was why the tiny 9 acre Lanlish makes the list. The 3, interconnected Badanloch lochs also make a set. And they brought up another point of interest - how many waters that lie close to each other are very similar in size. The other 2 lochs in that chain, Nan Clar and Rimsdale differ by 2 acres. And then you have Swannay and Boardhouse on Orkney, which lie side-by side and differ by 5 acres! See also, Arkaig/Lochy, Trawsfynydd/Vyrnwy, et al.

You can get a feel for the size of water you like to fish, I think. To some extent, I am a case of, "the bigger, the better". I like nothing more than to go out on a properly big water, such as Shin or Shiel, to explore what there is to be found. But at the same time, when I look through the list, I see many of my favourite waters falling in the range 300 to 600 acres. So, there is a question there for you - what range of size do you prefer to fish?

The list is obviously by no means exhausted or intended to be exclusive. If anyone would like their favourite water added to the list that doesn't currently appear, just ping it to me and I will add it in. I would make one stipulation... nothing under 20 acres, please. There are 1000s of such that could be included, and really the aim was to have a look at the comparative sizes of the bigger waters we have available to us.

Col

Last edited:

mhw

That’s a great exercise Col and makes very interesting reading
Thanks very much
For me it begs the question as to what percentage of the Loch is worth fishing
Taking a couple that I am familiar with ,Fada at 69 acres can be fished over whereas Hope at 1527 acres is by and large only worth fishing in a narrow margin around the shore, maybe 5-10% of the total surface area
Would it be fair to say therefore that there could be more fishing to be had on Fada than on Hope which is 20 times it’s size
It would be interesting to repeat the exercise taking a line at the 20’ contour
Not at all suggesting that though and thanks again for some great work
Martin

Gdog

That's a really useful tool, and I've checked a few of my favourite lakes and its certainly accurate even picking points around the perimeter with my forefinger on my phone. It'll certainly be very accurate when I try it out on a few more lakes that I don't know the area on my laptop tomorrow.

Any excuse not to work. 😁

Cap'n Fishy

That’s a great exercise Col and makes very interesting reading
Thanks very much
For me it begs the question as to what percentage of the Loch is worth fishing
Taking a couple that I am familiar with ,Fada at 69 acres can be fished over whereas Hope at 1527 acres is by and large only worth fishing in a narrow margin around the shore, maybe 5-10% of the total surface area
Would it be fair to say therefore that there could be more fishing to be had on Fada than on Hope which is 20 times it’s size
It would be interesting to repeat the exercise taking a line at the 20’ contour
Not at all suggesting that though and thanks again for some great work
Martin

Aye - for sure, Martin, a whole other chapter comes into play when you consider what percentage of the surface area (what I have quoted) is worth fishing. I think if you add up the fish-catching areas on Hope - top end, middle bay and south end combined - it will come to at least 2 or 3 hundred acres in total. :unsure:

Obviously, it depends on the bottom contours. The percentage of a glacial loch such as Loch Shiel that is worth fishing will be small, compared to the likes of Loch Leven. Back in the day, there was very little of Loch Leven's 3361 acres that was not worth fishing (at times), including over the north and south deeps.

This is a very useful database....

You just need to watch out for the hydro lochs, which are very different now to how they looked when the survey was done. All sorts of other things come into play, depending on the water. For example... Menteith...

When the water temperature turned hot in summer, the fish were to be found in the the deeper areas.

So, it's going to be a water by water thing, and at times a season by season thing...

Col

Rhithrogena

Excellent stuff!!
Fernworthy Res. please Col, if you have time.
A good size for a venue with no boats. Small enough to be intimate and big enough to give some variety....
Thanks a lot,
Rich
EDIT: I played with your tool (😳) - and it's ~75 acres..

Last edited:

ed_t

Fantastic piece of work: needs no.1 sticky as is.

Add links to each water with indented page links and it's the defacto guide to uk fishing.

bobmiddlepoint

So, there is a question there for you - what range of size do you prefer to fish?

Anything at all although most of my experience is at the lower end of the range. I'll happily fish a selection of 1 acre puddles in an afternoon, if I was restricted to just one loch for a whole day from the bank it would need to be about 20 or 30 o keep my interest. From a boat 40 acres or so is OK on a calm day but on a windy day that would be a bit small, you'd drift it all in half an hour. I know because I've been there "Where shall we try now Andy?" "Err well we could try the north shore or the south shore or up the middle, again..."

Some are bigger than I think they are, and some seem smaller - though a lot depends on whether they are roughly circular, or consist of all arms and legs. The circular ones pack in so many more acres than the leggy ones.

I'd sooner fish a 10 acre leggy one than a 30 acre round one from either bank or boat. There might be less acres but there is more interest in long legs than one round dollop.

Andy

Cap'n Fishy

I'd sooner fish a 10 acre leggy one than a 30 acre round one from either bank or boat. There might be less acres but there is more interest in long legs than one round dollop.

Andy

Yeh - agree with you there. I am always amazed that Bharp is only 53 acres - it feels a lot bigger than the ones in the 60s, and takes you a good while to fish round it all. I've never fished Ladybower, but it looks like an interesting leggy one, and at 481 acres, it must seem big when you are out on it. Clywedog another in that vein (586 acres). I wasn't even sure what to include in Trealabhal and what to leave out...

If you set out to fish it from the bank, the whole way round, you would need to take extra sandwiches... 🤪

taffy1

Most of our Welsh reservoirs tell you their acreage on their websites some of the lesser known rainbow fisheries are less compliant, IE, the stewponds.

Cap'n Fishy

Most of our Welsh reservoirs tell you their acreage on their websites some of the lesser known rainbow fisheries are less compliant, IE, the stewponds.

Yeh - I found a few of the stated acreages were quite a bit out, so better to check them yourself...

Reactions: dgp

dgp

Yeh - I found a few of the stated acreages were quite a bit out, so better to check them yourself...
Yes you can get some small differences but not significant in the main. Just for the record and I can't see them in the list -our local stocked fishery Llyn Cefni on Anglesey is listed as 210 acres and the Snowdonia reservoir Llyn Cowlyd a wild fishery with arctic charr is listed at 240 acres. Similarly llyn Padarn is around 240acres

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

Yes you can get some small differences but not significant in the main.

Carron Valley Res is usually quoted at being 970 or 1000 acres, but it only measured 858 with the map tool. Loch Shin is given as being 5560 acres, but measured 7538 acres with the map tool. That might be because the data has never been updated since the hydro dam was built, which increased the area. I'm not sure why Carron should be smaller, because the dam there was raised some years ago, which increased the area. I might have another go using the satellite view - it might give a different shoreline.

But generally, I enjoyed the exercise, and I am judging what is fishable water, and subtracting islands from totals, rather than just accepting stated measurements. 😜

Just for the record and I can't see them in the list -our local stocked fishery Llyn Cefni on Anglesey is listed as 210 acres and the Snowdonia reservoir Llyn Cowlyd a wild fishery with arctic charr is listed at 240 acres. Similarly llyn Padarn is around 240acres

Happy to include them.

Col

spudgun

Excellent, thanks for posting the link. Our syndicate lake has now shrunk from 10 acres to 6.7. Lol
Cheers

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Cap'n Fishy

Yes you can get some small differences but not significant in the main. Just for the record and I can't see them in the list -our local stocked fishery Llyn Cefni on Anglesey is listed as 210 acres and the Snowdonia reservoir Llyn Cowlyd a wild fishery with arctic charr is listed at 240 acres. Similarly llyn Padarn is around 240acres

I measured Llyn Cefni at 164 acres and Llyn Cowlyd at 262 acres. Llyn Padarn comes in at 256 acres.

Col

Latest posts