How big is yours?

diawl bach

Google maps has a dead easy measuring tool for length and area, simply right click on the map, choose measure distance from the menu then click around the perimeter of the water finally putting the last dot on top of the first.
Did this in a rush but if you have the interest you can add every nook and cranny.

llanishen_res.JPG

Cap'n Fishy

Google maps has a dead easy measuring tool for length and area, simply right click on the map, choose measure distance from the menu then click around the perimeter of the water finally putting the last dot on top of the first.
Did this in a rush but if you have the interest you can add every nook and cranny.

Yeh - that's exactly how the map tool I have been using works.

Cap'n Fishy

View attachment 46025
How quickly can you do an accurate measure of Loch Trealabhal with it? 🤪

diawl bach

Hope it's more accurate than their elevation map, I tried it on my home stretch of the Teifi, according to their data the river runs uphill from Allt-y-bwlla by 5 metres to the Cych Junction Pool then drops 4m to the stretch below Pontnewydd finally running uphill again by another 6 metres to Ffynnon Licli 😁

elevated.JPG

Cap'n Fishy

Hope it's more accurate than their elevation map, I tried it on my home stretch of the Teifi, according to their data the river runs uphill from Allt-y-bwlla by 5 metres to the Cych Junction Pool then drops 4m to the stretch below Pontnewydd finally running uphill again by another 6 metres to Ffynnon Licli 😁

View attachment 46027

I tried it against the map tool just to see if they get the same answers. Used Elinor Fishery. Both got ~47 acres, so thankfully in agreement. (y)

dgp

Interesting . Llyn Cefni has a large and small lake linked by a short stretch of water. I assume you included both?

Cap'n Fishy

Interesting . Llyn Cefni has a large and small lake linked by a short stretch of water. I assume you included both?

Yep - both parts included. I just double-checked it with DB's Google Maps method and got 165 acres - pretty good agreement! (y)

That's what I mean about not being able to trust the stated values. ;)

Col

Reactions: dgp

codyarrow

Crummock water would be interesting to me because we used to fish this on the oars. If I can compare it to something similar I can get a sense of how unfit I am now measured against my 15 year old self. :)

Cap'n Fishy

Crummock water would be interesting to me because we used to fish this on the oars. If I can compare it to something similar I can get a sense of how unfit I am now measured against my 15 year old self. :)

628 acres - it's a decent size to row around on.

JohnH

Fascinating piece of work Col, well played ! How about Kennick and Burrator reservoirs in Devon ? Also separating Farmoors 1 and 2 as they are 2 separate fisheries.

Wee Jimmy

Yep - both parts included. I just double-checked it with DB's Google Maps method and got 165 acres - pretty good agreement! (y)

That's what I mean about not being able to trust the stated values. ;)

Col
I notice Tod has a bigger hole on that old bathymetric map of the Lake. Also a wee pier at the pike nets...😉

Cap'n Fishy

Fascinating piece of work Col, well played ! How about Kennick and Burrator reservoirs in Devon ? Also separating Farmoors 1 and 2 as they are 2 separate fisheries.

Cheers, John. Will add those two.

I did think about splitting Farmoor. As it is a 2 second job on that one, it is no bother to go back and do it. 😜

Col

3lbgrayling

Yes it’s remarkable how many fish there can often be seen sniffing around Tods Hole.
The trouble with Tod hole now is that the reed beds that used to block the entrance off a fair bit have gone and it's now more like Tod bay..also happening at the west end of Lochend.

Jim

Latest posts