How do use a stomach pump?

speytime

My stomach pump arrived today so I need to know how do I go about pumping a trouts stomach, do I simply put it into the fishes stomach or put some water into 1st?

Thanks Al

wobbly face

First things first, they are not stomach pumps despite what the labels says. They are throat pumps used on live fish. So no shoving it down the fishes mouth into the stomach because you can cause damage/death. Same with filling with water first, pumping water into the fish again can cause damage/death. A little bit of water is fine (this is where experience come's into play) and you are only getting food from the fishes throat, basically what it has last taken.
Okay, if you have dispatched the fish for eating then fair enough though I prefer a marrow spoon or such.
However, the pump can be used for picking up insects of the water surface for closer inspection.

Cap'n Fishy

Are there any kosher data on them to substantiate their use on C&R fish?

Col

3lbgrayling

This subject has been brought to the Forum several times over the last 2 decades.and it has ''Always'' brought different opinions to the forum.

Jim

wobbly face

Poor form, shoving tube too quickly into fish (damaging gullet), pushing tube too far into fish, filling with too much water and squirting too much water into fish. Basically being ham fisted. :eek:hno: You don't want to push food items to the back of the stomach and compact it all or even explode the stomach = dead fish.
The idea is not to squirt all the water out of the pump, short gentle squeeze of the bulb and immediate release to suck water back and any insects. It's the fish's last meal you want to know about (hence throat pump). You also don't want to be pumping air into the fish either.
I do have a small pump and also a small sieve net (when I remember to take them :rolleyes:) but only used for collecting insects of or in the water.
I'm afraid it's one of those procedures that needs practice getting things right, bit like chinning a pike. Though in the trout's case, it's the trout that gets it if all goes wrong. :eek:hno:

Cap'n Fishy

Poor form, shoving tube too quickly into fish (damaging gullet), pushing tube too far into fish, filling with too much water and squirting too much water into fish. Basically being ham fisted. :eek:hno: You don't want to push food items to the back of the stomach and compact it all or even explode the stomach = dead fish.
The idea is not to squirt all the water out of the pump, short gentle squeeze of the bulb and immediate release to suck water back and any insects. It's the fish's last meal you want to know about (hence throat pump). You also don't want to be pumping air into the fish either.
I do have a small pump and also a small sieve net (when I remember to take them :rolleyes:) but only used for collecting insects of or in the water.
I'm afraid it's one of those procedures that needs practice getting things right, bit like chinning a pike. Though in the trout's case, it's the trout that gets it if all goes wrong. :eek:hno:
Ged - do you know of any (peer-reviewed) published papers on the validity of this as being safe (when performed correctly) on fish being C&R'd?

Col

doobrysnatcher

ive personally never used one of these stomach/throat pumps( trout food extraction tools) but have seen one used on a dead trout( now imo wrongly used)
but now im getting confused, as this may harm a live fish if used
incorrectly /correctly,
so as you say practice is perfection but thats probraly going to lead to a few dead fish
any how until you or i get the hang of it eventually

Last edited:

lipslicker

Is spooning or pumping (if it can be done in a safe and ethical manner) something that the more professional/successful among you recommend?
I only ask because I don't, and have never even considered it, but I might be missing out.
Should I be carrying a spoon?
Do you use them every trip, or only once in blue moon, when you are struggling for information?
Would it improve my success rate?

I probably should say I am C&R 999/1000.

wobbly face

Ged - do you know of any (peer-reviewed) published papers on the validity of this as being safe (when performed correctly) on fish being C&R'd?

Col
I don't know of any and can't find any Col.

I've seen it done in the flesh several times (many moons ago though) and every time the instructor/demonstrator spoke of poor use. Mainly pushing tube in too deep.
Mainly used by river anglers and is considered old fashioned now. By all means practice on dead fish but handling live fish and performing the procedure! Today we have softer plastic, silicon based but if practising C&R with fish welfare in mind, don't use it. Fish may look to go back healthy but they will hide and sulk, then die unbeknown to us. They don't all go belly up. :eek:hno:

BobP

If you've caught a fish on a black buzzer for example, then that tells you that the fish are willing to take black buzzers. That being the case, why bother to try finding out what they are eating? What if you find bloodworms, black buzzers, corixae, olive buzzers and daphnia? Then what do you do?

wobbly face

Is spooning or pumping (if it can be done in a safe and ethical manner) something that the more professional/successful among you recommend?
I only ask because I don't, and have never even considered it, but I might be missing out.
Should I be carrying a spoon?
Do you use them every trip, or only once in blue moon, when you are struggling for information?
Would it improve my success rate?

I probably should say I am C&R 999/1000.
Far easier to spoon a dead fish. I do spoon dead fish that I knock for the table, a way of learning what trout eat and also being a fly tier, I will alter patterns to suit (hopefully) and give a better chance of catching. Having a basic level of entomology I think is a great help in improving your fishing and another side to enjoy. :thumbs:

- - - Updated - - -

If you've caught a fish on a black buzzer for example, then that tells you that the fish are willing to take black buzzers. That being the case, why bother to try finding out what they are eating? What if you find bloodworms, black buzzers, corixae, olive buzzers and daphnia? Then what do you do?
Come on Bob! :rolleyes:
Use multi droppers. You might have caught on a black buzzer, but on spooning you might find they are actually on dark olive. A change to dark olive could see you catch more fish.

pentlandflyman

if you are fishing c&r then you shouldn't be sticking anything down its throat, get it landed, unhooked and released asap. if you want to know what they are eating study the water or look at what you just caught it on, the depth and retrieve and work out what it may have resembled...or ask someone on a kill ticket if you can spoon his fish. any kind of pump or marrow spoon is only for dead fish imo.

doobrysnatcher

i had a camera put down my throat a few months ago, at least i was sedated first before the procedure
and it was done by professionals who had perfected their technique,and
i dont think if i was turned up side down that it would of helped me

as the guy i saw pumping the trout that day said if you do this to a live fish first turn it upside down and it will relax the fish
so how do you handle a fish delicately while inserting a tube down its throat and expect it to stay still while doing so?

taffy1

Why not go the full hog? Get a microscope, some glass slides, some light pressure on the anal gland, take a few swabs & see what it ate the previous day.

Last edited: