How do you carry your rod?

spidernymph

This diagram illustrates the correct way to hold a rod perfectly, ideal for negotiating barbed wire -

SPM-Enews-banner-Research-Article-0716.jpg
I tried that once - it was a right pain in the...well it was a right pain!
Mind you, I wasn't using the latest ultra fast, tournament, competition, distance casting (but still with a tip which will allow you to fish a size 42 dry fly on 0.000568mm diameter tippet and land a 45lb wild brown trout) fly rod. Silly me - next time I will use the style.

eddleston123

I can't remember ever breaking a rod tip whilst carrying a rod in the forward position. I've been fishing for over 60 years! However, I have stubbed the tip into the ground on a couple of occasions, but never suffered any breakages. Now that I've said that, guess what is going to happen next year.

There is another position (which I have actually witnessed) It's called the 'suicide' position / That's when you walk with your carbon fibre rod in the upward position, pointing towards the sky, during a thunder and lightning storm!

Douglas

glueman

I can't remember ever breaking a rod tip whilst carrying a rod in the forward position. I've been fishing for over 60 years! However, I have stubbed the tip into the ground on a couple of occasions, but never suffered any breakages. Now that I've said that, guess what is going to happen next year.

There is another position (which I have actually witnessed) It's called the 'suicide' position / That's when you walk with your carbon fibre rod in the upward position, pointing towards the sky, during a thunder and lightning storm!

Douglas
Douglas or under high tension cables

bobmiddlepoint

There was a fashion for holding the rod in the mouth while having trophy shots taken a while ago. I'm surprised no one has taken this further and actually carried their rod like this, it would free up both hands.

wjg

There was a fashion for holding the rod in the mouth while having trophy shots taken a while ago. I'm surprised no one has taken this further and actually carried their rod like this, it would free up both hands.
We call those people cork suckers around here.

clag

How you carry your rod is a bit like the left or right handed reel setting ‘debate’. A small number of people get passionate about it for reasons I can never understand. Meanwhile, the majority just do what feels comfortable/sensible in the circumstances.

Regards

CLaG

Reg Wyatt

Carrying your own rod is one thing and you take on responsibility for using common sense in looking after it. On a corporate day with a dozen newbies, often after a few beers, is a different game and most river keepers advise their 'clients' to walk with the rods pointing backwards which results in far fewer breakages.

Reg Wyatt

Bobfly2

If you are bushwacking in thickets and so on undo the middle joint, wind in the slack and your tip ring is no longer 9 feet away !!! Holding the pair together always feels safe.

Latest posts