How do you get your fish home?

JobberDun

How do you all get your fish home?

Where I fish they supply carrier bags, so I put a bit of lake water in the bag with my fish and tie a knot in the bag.

I'm lucky, in that my local water is only a fifteen minute drive from my house.

Normally, I will fish a four hour ticket, which entitles me to keep two fish.

If I catch a decent fish on my first cast, and it goes into a bag, that means the fish is sitting in that bag for four hours.

I was thinking of getting a cooler box or something similar.

If I was fishing further afield, I would have to think of another way to keep the fish fresh.

My local water does not have a cleaning station, so I have to do all that when I get back home.

Due to the amount of trout I have in the freezer (I hate doing it!), I have recently been getting a catch and release ticket.

So, how do people get their fish home nice and fresh?

Russ

loxie

Firstly never, ever, under any circumstances leave your fish in the water when they are dead. There is nothing, everything else being equal, that will destroy them faster.

First thing after you bash your fish between the eyes, cut all the gill rakers on one side and, if possible hang it by the tail, if not leave it in your landing net in the water while you sort your tackle out. Then wash all the blood and slime etc off, being sure to get the blood that will have clotted in the gills you cut.

If you could gut it, now would be good, but as you cannot cool is next best. Ice slurry ( ice and water) with a good dose of salt is best, although not always practical, but a cool box with iceblocks works well too. A bass bag is a good option. Dunk it in the water to get it wet then hang it in a tree. As the water evaporates the fish will cool.

If you have a bit of a walk I'd take a bass bag and keep a cool box in the car. Bleeding the fish will make a massive difference to its quality.

hope this helps!

easker1

it's a long time since I took a fish home, Lee wulff said Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once, I would rather eat a Haddock easker1:)

PaulD

How do you all get your fish home?

Where I fish they supply carrier bags, so I put a bit of lake water in the bag with my fish and tie a knot in the bag.

Russ
No! That is the worst thing you can do! I know your fish has been swimming in it but would you be happy to drink the lake water or keep your sandwiches soaked in it?

As your fishery doesn't have the facility to gut / clean your fish while you're there, your major objective is to keep your fish as cool as possible. The best and simplest way is to use a Bass Bag or Cool Bag such as this . . .

bass bag.jpg
This is a foil lined 'dry' bag. Cheaper versions are a mesh type which you soak in water (I know!) and you leave in the shade and the fish is kept cool by evaporation.

Putting your fish in a carrier bag with pond water is akin to a slow cooker on a warm day.

Jem68

it's a long time since I took a fish home, Lee wulff said Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once, I would rather eat a Haddock easker1:)
I think farmed trout are more sustainable than wild haddock and am happy to catch and eat them, but I take your point about wild game fish.

I take a cold box with 4 bags of ice from the supermarket and a large plastic trug as used for mixing plaster or in gardening. Any fish kept go straight in the trug with a covering of ice and somewhere in shade, and I keep topping up with ice as required. This gets them home cold and fresh on even a hot summers' day.

JohnH

I find the Wychwood "dry" cool bag as recommended by Paul, teamed with a couple of good size freeze packs from the supermarket or outdoor shop, to be very effective. The fish go in a separate mesh bag inside the dry bag. Also keeps sandwiches, cold drinks and milk for tea, all in separate containers in the dry bag, in good order.

speytime

Ice packs and cool boxes, is this why some anglers need a wheel barrow to get all there gear to the water? :)

I've a cotton bag I soak then hang on the row lock, the fish gets dispatched and put in the bag.

Al

Last edited:

easker1

there are no Farmed trout round here, and I live in a fishing community, so a Responsibly sourced Haddock is a decent substitute, easker 1

greenerpastures

I call a taxi, and sit in with fish on my lap.
Cant understand for the life of me why I can’t get through
to the taxi firm anymore, in the beginning it was no problem.

Latest posts