How do you identify how much weight/bead size that you have on your flies

Cam

This season I have started tying quite a few tungsten beaded nymphs in various bead sizes and some with additional wraps of lead wire. When they first go into the fly box they are in size/weight order but after a few sessions I am a bit less disciplined so telling them apart gets more difficult.

Does anyone have a system that they use to identify the weight on their nymphs?

I am guessing that those of you who fish competitively will have, or will have come across, systems used to identify the weigh that has been added to a hook

Thanks in advance

Cam

thetrouttickler

For the whole fly or as a tag?
Generally the whole fly, because the only thread you end up seeing on a nymph is at the head. Black, olive, brown, red, etc.

I have seen others do the latter (just below the tail) and you don't need to use a different colour if you go this route.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cam

skinner

You could get the digital (If you’ve got some) the scales out for half an hour and rearrange the nymphs back in weight size.
I can generally feel what weighs more or less.

baca157

I just go by the size of the bead. Tungsten beads are usually sized in 0.5 mm increments so it’s not that hard to guess what size bead you have on the fly. It’s not as easy to begin with but it becomes a second nature very quickly. Same with hook sizes...

I don’t add lead in addition to tungsten as it makes the body of the fly to thick. I like a skinny nymph - it sinks faster and looks more natural (apart from the ”helmet” of course😂).

Cheers,
Sebastian

running bear

After time you can tell the difference in the box, a 2.8, 3.3, 3.8, 4.3 etc do look much different
You could have a row at the top of your box that you could compare to until you get your eye in

Last edited: