How Do You Revitalise Old Wooden Reel Seat Inserts?

codyarrow

I keep saying it but builders wipes are pretty good for all these type of jobs. Fairly kind to the materials. We use them to clean our hands. £4 a tub.

ohanzee

when I did some french polishing at first I was using fine wire wool but minute bits were left in the wood especially Oak and there was tine y black marks, si I now use webrax synthetic and it leaves no marks and you can get it in 4 grades , Got mine from Axminster Power tools, easker1

A rub with a magnet gets most of that off, enough to get past fussy people even but there are still zillions in there, you must be proper fussy :)

ohanzee

I've no meths in the house at present - would white spirits or ISA do?

Isopropyl is much the same without the stink but white spirit is a completely different thing, its oily and will stay in(meths evaporates away) white spirit will darken wood but the biggest danger is it leaves an oily residue.

4wings

Isopropyl is good and has many other uses I used to use Almond oil on stocks and leather.
For wood after cleaning, Danish Oil, first coat thinned then 2-3 coats rubbed down between coats.
I used fine flour paper and the green scouring sheets for initial cleaning down

badcaster

If the seat has dings and dents or little knocks you can bring these out with a hot iron and a damp cloth by forcing the steam into the dent to swell the cells which removes the dent. Often the dent is left slightly proud and needs lightly sanding.
Good luck!

Lewis Chessman

Thank you, badcaster (shurelyshomemishtake! ;) ), Derek, icejohn, 4wings, Alan, Paul, Jason, bobfly2, Bert, Simon and Stephen! There's plenty for me to be thinking of and acting on here!
Budget demands that I be moderate in my expenditure so, having already ordered the wax and walnut oil I shall make my first attempts with them, some IPA and elbow grease and begin with my least favoured rods. It's a vanity project really, just an attempt to pretty things up so, regrettably, I can't go splashing the cash on everything you good folks have suggested. Would that I could!
I do hope that over this coming year I will progress to making an insert of my own and then I'm sure all of your sound advice will prove invaluable. Thank you all, I raise my glass to each of you.
Sincerely,
James.

easker1

I have been looking at my wood bits I have quite a bit of fairly exotic stuff, but one bit I have is from an old Gorse bush it was about 8 inches thick so it must have been years old cut into it was well coloured reds and pinks and orange, not what you would expect, but I have other things like Anjan Jarrah, and some nice old laburnam, but I put down some pear but it must be a favourite of the wood worm, well eaten also some european Box and Walnut, and whats left of a bottle of Melamine finish, I used to burnish it on food Bowls when I did more turning, but its a good hard finish, easker1

ohanzee

As

An add on to adhesives my main range I had an account with Mylands actually a/c number 666 the devil. Lovely company to deal with a very good products

They must be feeling the pressure now with the market for toxic oils dwindling, I got a tin of exterior 'satin' paint today, entirely water based and outstanding finish and durability, better than the real thing.

JayP

They must be feeling the pressure now with the market for toxic oils dwindling, I got a tin of exterior 'satin' paint today, entirely water based and outstanding finish and durability, better than the real thing.
The water based acrylics I've been using are superb and no noxious chemicals to breathe in

glueman

I believe their range of paints and laquers are largely water based now but wood stains and polishes need to be solvent or meths based. The problem with water based wood stains is that they will raise the grain on some timbers and they were not liked by restorers

ohanzee

I believe their range of paints and laquers are largely water based now but wood stains and polishes need to be solvent or meths based. The problem with water based wood stains is that they will raise the grain on some timbers and they were not liked by restorers

Restorers preferred naptha and benzine because it was quick, instantly deep and even, and it was ready by the time you finished a bacon roll and cuppa :)
The problem with water based was it just didn't penetrate the same, wishy washy so you had to crank up the concentrate and any residue on the surface left you an unstained bit, time consuming and fussy, 2 coats to denib after the first but it need 2 anyway, sometimes you just didn't get a dark enough colour and you can't get the damn stuff back out.
Spirit stains were nearly as bad, get those wrong and the colour bit in hard, no second chances, with oil based you could lighten it evenly if you went in too dark.

Another trick with naptha was it would penetrate almost anything, you could smear it over a faded chair and 10 mins later it looked like brand new, no finishing required, just restained right through the finish, quick rub and back to new.

But yeah, if the kids now had to have a fag while coughing up methylene chloride and benzine they would have a fit.

Latest posts