How far does a good caster shoot

karlsson

Its a brilliantly clear and consistent result(I want to give extra kudos for the near perfect turn over on all casts) but its too good a benchmark to not do a follow up with a different line, the assumption is a short heavy head shoots further/same without the carry...that could be interesting.

The shorter headed line would show the same relationship, and if its a brick on a string line, when the whole head is out, the shot will be even better 🙂

Cheers
Lasse

andygrey

The shorter headed line would show the same relationship, and if its a brick on a string line, when the whole head is out, the shot will be even better 🙂

Cheers
Lasse
That's interesting, I'd have expected to see a short head line reaching an optimum and then decreasing due to the difficulty of carrying a lot of running line.

kingf000

Given some of the bollox on other parts of this forum about casting I thought I'd start a sensible thread, perhaps to dispel some misconceptions about casting. This has been shown elsewhere on the internet but I thought I'd put it here also. Rather than than take statements like 'you can only shoot half the amount of line you can carry', I tend to go out and measure things for myself.

Here is a chart showing how far Tracy cast from a given carry. The carry (measured from the hauling hand to the tip of the fly line) was fixed first and then Tracy made a cast without slipping any line before making the final shoot. The cast was then measured. At each carry, starting from 5m up to 20m in 2.5m intervals, Tracy made 10 casts. At 22.5m carry there were only 3 casts made as she was knackered from making over 70 distance casts on the trot. The results from this test are shown below.

View attachment 37852
Looks like a linear relationship up to 17.5m carry, then tails off. I know would be happy with a 25-30 metre cast, the most I need for the places I fish, so I need to carry up to 15 metres.

karlsson

That's interesting, I'd have expected to see a short head line reaching an optimum and then decreasing due to the difficulty of carrying a lot of running line.
Oh, it does, and after that it goes down, but James didnt go there either with his long belly, same thing happens there. I just went with the logic that the measuring is with varying degrees of the head out the tip, it gets better and better, and James ended his test with basicly the optimum carry for the line, which is where a line always casts best for distance. Extend more and distance goes down unless outside forces helps.
Shows pretty well when overhang starts to give diminishing returns as slack gets introduced to the system.

Cheers
Lasse

ed_t

...What some distance casters do (myself included) is twist the rings 90 degrees out of plane with the reel when going for the maximum. This potentially reduces the friction with the blank a bit - it certainly seems to work for me.

James.
Sounds a bit like the spiral/acid wrap. Easy to test 3 top sections at 30 degrees each.