How long before you change flies\tactics?

JobberDun

How long should I fish with the same fly, using the same tactics?

I fish mainly at Norton Trout Fishery in Essex, it is £20 for two fish on a four hour ticket.

Now two fish is plenty for me to take home, and four hours seems to be long enough before the standing up\casting\retrieving starts to take its toll.

At the moment I am giving it one hour before I change to another tactic\fly, if I haven't had a take.

Should I also change from a big fly to a small fly is nothing is biting?

Bert, the owner of the fishery, told me to pick five spots and cast to each one. Then count to ten and then start retrieving. Then repeat using 20, then 30 and 40. If nothing takes, change to a different fly\lure.

I do vary the speed of retrieve during each cast.

If I see trout taking off the top when I walk around the lake, I normally start with a dry fly. But if they are not taking that I change the fly.

So, how long should I use the same fly\tactics before changing?

Russ

JobberDun

Most of the time I do manage to get my ticket limit, although not many more than that!

Although my last two visits have been hard work!

Russ

sofasurfer

There's no silver bullet. It sounds like you are on track. Each trip will build your knowledge.

I wouldn't stay with one method or fly for an hour, if I was fishing blind, prospecting, I would probably change tack every 15 minutes, patience is not a virtue.

I spend a lot of time watching the water, keeping a low profile. Not casting to the horizon, fish are often close to the bank until an angler arrives.

Capeldrae

Bert has given you good advice about fan casting and your countdown. As we are coming into colder times lures maybe the order of the day and I would suggest you have a small selection of different coloured lures to which I would change every 10-15 mins if not catching.I would also change locations after an hour.

BobP

Even in the dead of winter trout are not always hard on the bottom. Midges (buzzers) are present 365 days of the year and trout will always eat them, but they will be small so be prepared to go down to 16 or even 18. What trout will be reluctant to do is to chase around after food so dead slow or as static as possible is my advice. Look for areas in the lake where the water deepens. Trout love to follow those drop-offs and keeping the flies in those areas will bring a reward.

eddleston123

I have a friend who spends more time changing his flies/set up, than he actually does fishing.
He certainly doesn't catch any more fish than me. I'm lazy and rarely change.

I suppose the answer must lie somewhere in between.

Douglas

BobP

I have a friend who spends more time changing his flies/set up, than he actually does fishing.
He certainly doesn't catch any more fish than me. I'm lazy and rarely change.

I suppose the answer must lie somewhere in between.

Douglas
I used to fish with a friend who was much the same. We would have a boat at Chew and I would make my fly selection based on what I know works - at the time it would have been Soldier Palmer, Grenadier and maybe a Silver Invicta. All standard Chew flies.

Pete would be fussing over his flies within ten minutes of starting the first drift. I would fish the same team for at least two drifts before I even contemplated a change and more often than not there would be no need as the fish were happy enough with what I was chucking at them. It was not unusual for me to come in having changed one fly or none at all while Pete had probably changed his whole set-up four or five times.

Once he got himself settled he was a good angler, it was just getting settled that was the problem!

ed_t

Another question to ask is have you got other anglers to watch? If they are catching and you're not, what are they doing? Are they casting long or short; long pause and drift or stripping; slow or fast retrieve; floating lines and dries or down below? You can learn a lot by watching others.

If fish are topping and turning away from your flies, try a different pattern, or same pattern but smaller.

Likewise if using lures and you get knocks, try the same pattern but smaller or try speeding up or staggering/twitching your retrieve.