How many rods do you take out?

Craig808

I was just wondering how many rods you take with you on a days fishing.

Are you a single rod person and just change lines to suit or do you take multiple rods and setups?

Me personally, I like to take 2 with me. I often find that if one set up is fishing well but then stops, I try the next set up which may or may not work but then I go back to the original set up and start catching immediately again.

I actually have a spare 3rd rod but never take it because it seems a bit greedy. I might start setting it up as a dry fly rod so I can quickly swap over when the odd fish start rising.

D

Deleted member 90002

I was just wondering how many rods you take with you on a days fishing.

Are you a single rod person and just change lines to suit or do you take multiple rods and setups?

Me personally, I like to take 2 with me. I often find that if one set up is fishing well but then stops, I try the next set up which may or may not work but then I go back to the original set up and start catching immediately again.

I actually have a spare 3rd rod but never take it because it seems a bit greedy. I might start setting it up as a dry fly rod so I can quickly swap over when the odd fish start rising.
I did take 2 rods for a while last season but now on weod and cassette reel..
Just my way of doing it..
Also less stuff to carry..
G

Gdog

In a boat three. Two 10' #6 for floating and intermediate or intermediate and full sinker depending on conditions. Third would be a 9' #5 for dry flies of nymphs.

I normally take two rods when bank fishing, so I can switch lines or fish dries on one and nymphs on the other. I bought a new multi rod tube over the winter that holds three rods. So I may use it to bring three rods, but I'll wait and see because it might be a pain dragging it around.

PaulD

When float tubing I usually have two, beginning and end of season both a10ft, 7wt and a 9ft, 6wt. In the warmer months when you can guarantee fish on or near the surface, a 9ft, 5wt and an 8ft' 9", 3wt.

On the rivers, always one but 'reserves' in the car. On smaller streams it'll be either a 6ft, 2wt or 7ft, 3/4wt cane or if the river's larger, an 8ft 4wt.

gmm243

Very occasionally I take two in the boat set up,one for wets and one for dries.
Mostly I use one and then have a spare rolling around the bottom of the boat in a tube.
On the river I only take one and leave a spare in the car.

Mr Notherone

One usually....I'm happy to take some time to switch between setups. I don't carry much stuff in general.

Last season I did carry two rods on a few occasions and it wasn't too awkward. Would depend on the river and conditions I think.

bobmiddlepoint

One and that is one too many!

I used to occasionally take both fly and spinning rods on rivers but the hassle of walking back up the pool to pick up the second rod was just too much. If I was fishing one of those salmon beats with a road or track up the side I'd have a second rod on the car and chop and change a bit.

I'm not mad keen on two rods in a boat either. If the thing is in a tube then by the time you've got it out and set up the moment has often passed. If it's set up and ready to go it's just in the way. If I were fishing a big loch and going to be an hour or more from base then yes a second rod in it's tube just in case disaster strikes.

Andy

goldenolive

unless its a competition I like to carry one, especially on the river.
In the boat its generally a 7wt and sometimes a 5wt if its tricky difficult fishing.

If the rivers is at summer level and Its not windy I can wade in a get close to the fish so I bring a 10ft 3wt for everything.
if the river is swollen ill bring 2 rods, a 7wt streamer rod and an 11ft nymph rod.

esk

One in the boat, one in the car. It wouldn't be the first time someone's plonked an oar on a rod and snapped a tip section.

Its a long day sitting in a boat watching everyone else fish.

haggstock

Two rods and two reels . The second set in the car boot . I’ve had a new rod snap clean in two whilst fishing a hundred miles from home , the second setup turned a disaster into an inconvenient walk from the river to the car .

esk

That sums up my approach pretty well. Mayfly time and sea trout time I will also take a dapping rod, making 4.

Col
With some of the people I fish with I'd be constantly terrified that my beloved rods would end up in a bag of bits by the end of the day. I'd have to tow a trailer behind the boat all day to make sure they were safe.

bonefishblues

My buddy snapped my 9-weight as he climbed in the boat - clean through the second section. He doesn't do things by half :)

...and in my case, 2x 8-weights, plus a 9 and increasingly infrequently a spinning outfit.

Cap'n Fishy

With some of the people I fish with I'd be constantly terrified that my beloved rods would end up in a bag of bits by the end of the day. I'd have to tow a trailer behind the boat all day to make sure they were safe.

I prefer to use different rod lengths and different line weights for sunk line with lures, pulling trads on an intermediate, nymphing and dries. Add in a 15 ft dapping rod! But quite apart from that, there are many days where you are looking for a chance with dries, but the window of opporchancity might be brief, or it might be coming in short spells, and so you need both a pulling rod and a dry rod set-up to give you the ability to switch back-and-forth between them, as the situation develops. Much easier to have 2 rods set up for that. In 50 years of boat fishing, I can count up 4 broken rods, 2 of which were my own doing. Both of those were to my Sage XP dry fly rod, which was sent back to the USA and they made a new section for it both times, and I am still using it. (y)

Col

Latest posts