Fly Fishing Forum banner

how much is yours worth

2K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  caeran 
#1 ·
just looked at my lough box ,and realized how my collection has grown recently ,so with an average of 2-3 euro a fly , i must be nearly at the 1.5 grand mark ,show us whats yours worth
Wood Rectangle Cuisine Creative arts Flooring
Wood Table Cuisine Ingredient Flooring
Textile Wood Cuisine Flooring Rectangle
Wood Line Flooring Rectangle Fish
Wood Pattern Cuisine Seafood Arthropod
Insect Arthropod Wood Pattern Plant

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a very decent selection you have in your boxes. I probably have somewhere around 3 quarters of what you have but I do have additional boxes of sea trout & salmon flies in my posession, what price do they command?

#3 · (Edited)
thanks taffy its all one box 3 tier 6 shelfs, and thanks for the confidence boost ,regarding tying commercially , but alas its for me a hobbie ,and i dont sell any, i tie for my self out of the love and satisfaction it brings me ,id estimate 1800 -2000 euros given the time ,effort, learning, and price of materials at approx 2.50 a fly give me 2 grand andid think about it

#29 ·
Tying most of my own flies I dread to think how many I have. For a recent trip away from home I counted at last 15 fly boxes with at least 100 flies per box of which I probably only ever use 15 patterns if that. Yet still the collection grows!

#32 ·
I used to have thousands of flies that I never used. Now I have perhaps a few hundred, multiple sizes of a small number of patterns. I think it helps that I only fish rivers and streams - I no longer have all those wets and buzzers I used to hoard. I soon found other stuff to waste money on :)

#33 ·
#35 · (Edited)
I started taking photos of my flies but gave up....it's obscene the amount I have.....I'm guessing about 10,000 flies minimum..

Then you have all my son's, and the wife's....so another 10,000..

This is about 1/4 of my bright stuff....I've another 6 boxes . .nymphs, dries, snakes, etc ...

I still tie about 15 of a pattern every other night.....usually with a glass of something.......half I give to friends or kids starting out, the rest I put in the "stock boxes"....

There is no need....I know that but I've serious issues....addictive personality - same with anything.

Attachments

#40 ·
There aren't many days that I don't tie a few flies. Anything from 2 up to 10 depending on what garbage my wife is watching on tv that I don't want to see. I've no idea how many flies I've got now, but it runs into many thousands.

In 1999, three weeks before my first steelhead trip to BC I was at a friend's house and when I went back to the car some motherless heap of walking AIDS had broken into my car and lifted my tackle bag. Reels, fly lines, odds & sods and 6 fly boxes containing around 1500 flies. I put in an insurance claim and had a visit from an assessor who wanted to know why I needed such expensive reels - they were Battenkills. She dismissed the 1500 flies as disposables despite the fact that they were worth over £1000 at retail price. I managed to get reels, lines and fly boxes replaced.

So, lose the box, but the contents are worthless. I'd have loved to see her argue the toss over a hundred Megan Boyd salmon flies at about £15 a chuck. See her call those "disposables!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.