How to align rings

Novice

I am doing a rebuild/ mod on a very light bait casting rod. The tip is just 1mm. I am using single leg rings raging from 2mm to 6mm. I am struggling to get the eyes in line as the eye keeps rolling round the blank. I am using a thin piece of masking tape to hold the ring in place.

Amy tips. I am a complete Novice. :)

Reg Wyatt

I am doing a rebuild/ mod on a very light bait casting rod. The tip is just 1mm. I am using single leg rings raging from 2mm to 6mm. I am struggling to get the eyes in line as the eye keeps rolling round the blank. I am using a thin piece of masking tape to hold the ring in place.

Amy tips. I am a complete Novice. :)
Blue tack is the easiest way. You can roll a small piece into a sausage shape and it'll hold things in place ok.

Reg Wyatt

original cormorant

I'm no expert, but I start by putting a few wraps of thread on the rod then attach the ring with a couple of wraps (at the rod tip end), then put a wrap ahead of the ring then resume wrapping down towards the butt after checking the allignment.
The wrap ahead of the ring is intended to help waterproof the whipping, but also help to anchor the ring. When you do this you will find that the ring tilts up and the whipping then binds it back down.

I don't use any tape, blu-tack, super glue or any other extra material or tool.

kingf000

I use a small strip of selotape on the end of the foot, then start whipping by the ring, working down the foot, removing the selotape as I reach it. I make sure I don't whip too tightly so that I can do minor adjustments of the rings before applying any epoxy.

Scotty90

You can heat up the guide foot and touch it off of a stick of hot melt glue, just a touch is enough to allow you to stick the guide to the blank, it works well and doesn’t show up after coating the wrap with epoxy. I just use blue painter masking tape, cut the stips thin and wrap around the top of the guide foot (closest to the ring), wrap the thread from the opposite side of the guide ring and over the tape and start the wrap going up the guide foot.